Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17-x037cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new 17-x037cl  and I am really disappointed in how slow it runs.  There is also a "Quick Access" feature that seems to be a new Windows thing. I haven't had problems with Quick Access (if I have it) on a Dell machine with WIN10 and an older version of the i3 and only 6mb RAM compaired to a newer i3 with 8mb RAM, but one could grow old and die waiting for "Quick Access" to load so one can find the contents of folders, etc.

Thniking about the issue I remembered that typically, I reformat a new machine when I first get it to remove all of the builder add ons.  That is, I go back to the plain bare bones OS.  I then load what drivers I absolutely need...do all of the updates...then start loading drivers and software I need. I don't want backup partitions and all of that because I do my own backups regularly. 

Thoughts?

Thanks for your insight,

Noof

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did you buy it new or refurbished new? When a computer is running slowly the first thing to do is rule out a hardware issue and to do that go into UEFI diagnostics tapping F2 as you power up and run all the hardware tests. It likely will pass, but never hurts to check.

There are several ways to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. From within the settings/restore menu will be a "reset" option which will clean off all files, settings and essentially just reinstall Windows 10. You can also download an installation DVD or thumb drive from Microsoft Media Creation Tool site. I would encourage you to use the HP backup and recovery app and make a system recovery disk or disk set before you do anything else. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Did you buy it new or refurbished new? When a computer is running slowly the first thing to do is rule out a hardware issue and to do that go into UEFI diagnostics tapping F2 as you power up and run all the hardware tests. It likely will pass, but never hurts to check.

There are several ways to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. From within the settings/restore menu will be a "reset" option which will clean off all files, settings and essentially just reinstall Windows 10. You can also download an installation DVD or thumb drive from Microsoft Media Creation Tool site. I would encourage you to use the HP backup and recovery app and make a system recovery disk or disk set before you do anything else. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  I bought the machine as a floor model at a Sam's Club. I liked the specs and figured it would be a good, quick machine.  I'll do all the checks a little later...have a closing right now.

ThaNKS AGAIN!!!

Noof

HP Recommended

Am I being too critical?  Does your experience indicate that I am being too rash in thinking that I should re-format to lean and mean?

HP Recommended

Absolutely not. I actually do the same thing. Just don't expect miracles in performance improvement. And don't leave out security (AV and antimalware). 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your replies. I am bogged down in the F2 checks (some say they can take four hours and I've forgotten to initiate them), so I really don't know about the haredware side of the equation.  Just for the heck of it I've been humoring the hp prompts to update drivers, etc, which makes me wonder how many Windows 10 64-bit actually has vs what hp has.

Cheers!

Jeff

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.