Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 14t-j100 CT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This is a new computer with an OS backgrade.

Touchpad is Synaptics SMBus.

Driver is 19.0.12.98

Driver date is 7/28/2915

Windows device manager reports it's the latest version

Under mouse properties/touchpad setttins, I have tried turning off click pad and having it off when USB pointing devie is attached. On reboot the touchpad is back.

In the same place I tried disabling the actions one by one. It won't let me disable all of them.  It says the primary click must be assigned.

I didn't try removing the driver. Someone told me Windows will just reinstall it.

I have a an older different brand computer with the same OS. I can turn its touch pad off and it stays off.  It is also using an older driver.

Any idea how I can get this to stay off. I've searched the Internet and found no ideas I have not mentioned.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Andrew111,

Thank you for your inquiry. 

I grasp that you have recently purchased your notebook and you chose to downgrade the operating system to Windows 7. You have tried turning off the touchpad and setting it to off when an USB pointing device is attached. However, when you restart the touchpad is enabled again.

You also stated that you have the Synaptics TouchPad driver version 19.0.12.98 installed. Device Manager reported that the driver is up to date. When I checked the software and driver page for your notebook and Windows 7, I noted that a different version is recommended by HP.  Here is a link to the software and driver page for your notebook. HP ENVY Notebook - 14t-j100 CTO (ENERGY STAR). Please click on "Driver- Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices to display the list.  Try downloading this version of the Synaptics TouchPad driver and after removing and deleting the existing driver, install it. Some models allow you to disable the touchpad by double tapping the upper left corner of the touchpad. You should also be able to disable the touchpad in Device Manager without uninstalling or deleting it. It should then remain disabled until you go back and re-enable. You can also run the HP Support Assistant  to aid with acquiring the recommended software and drivers for your system.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Andrew111,

Thank you for your inquiry. 

I grasp that you have recently purchased your notebook and you chose to downgrade the operating system to Windows 7. You have tried turning off the touchpad and setting it to off when an USB pointing device is attached. However, when you restart the touchpad is enabled again.

You also stated that you have the Synaptics TouchPad driver version 19.0.12.98 installed. Device Manager reported that the driver is up to date. When I checked the software and driver page for your notebook and Windows 7, I noted that a different version is recommended by HP.  Here is a link to the software and driver page for your notebook. HP ENVY Notebook - 14t-j100 CTO (ENERGY STAR). Please click on "Driver- Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices to display the list.  Try downloading this version of the Synaptics TouchPad driver and after removing and deleting the existing driver, install it. Some models allow you to disable the touchpad by double tapping the upper left corner of the touchpad. You should also be able to disable the touchpad in Device Manager without uninstalling or deleting it. It should then remain disabled until you go back and re-enable. You can also run the HP Support Assistant  to aid with acquiring the recommended software and drivers for your system.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.