Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
  • I have taken the current memory out, cleaned it ,and reseated it several times.
  • I have also tested each memory module independently and in different nodes.
  • I have also tested a new working memory in both slots.
  • I have also checked to make sure the power button was not sticking.
  • The fan turns on but shuts off as it shuts down. 
  • There are NO beeps. 
  • There are no flashing lights.
  • It is fully charged and can charge. 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No problem I understand that you are upset. This is normal.

I am only trying to show you that I want to help you not fight with you.

For me it looks that you have problem with faulty GPU.

Usually reflowing graphic chip solves this problem.

It is a common problem with these models.

Many informations about this solution you may find here.

I recommend you especially post number 9 which is written by CherylG.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi,

Usually it is problem with overheating. Check the link below and first suggestion from there:
How to prevent and deal with overheating.

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended
Sorry, but this will not help me. 90% of the suggestions deal with a FUNCTIONING computer. It turns ON then immediately turns OFF.

The suggestion of cleaning out the fans, etc... already tried it. Besides, it has been sitting for several months (daughter finally let me know).... I would assuming that it would at least boot to see the screen light up before it overheats....

Any OTHER ideas?

HP Recommended

You did not mentioned that you already cleaned vents or fan so I did not know about it. I will not even try to convince you to my opinion. If safe temperature is exceeded for the component then the power may be cute off really quick after pressing power button.

Try to perform a hard reset:

1. Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC.
  2. Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
  3. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station, disconnect cables to printers or devices such as external monitors, USB memory sticks or SD cards, headset or external speakers, mouse or auxiliary keyboard, turn off WIFI and Bluetooth wireless devices.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for about 1 minute to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
  5. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook PC; but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  6. Press the power button to turn the notebook PC back on.

HP Recommended
Sorry, my bad. Cleaning vents and fan are regular maintenance especially on a laptop. I should've put it down, but I didn't.

Hard reset did not work.

This is a HP Pavilion dv6736nr is there any known issues? Say for instance, a glitchy or bad update that could've "bricked" it before the update got pulled? Or an update that could've gone wrong if an "idiot" was doing it?

BTW: Thanks for all your time and effort... 😃
HP Recommended

No problem I understand that you are upset. This is normal.

I am only trying to show you that I want to help you not fight with you.

For me it looks that you have problem with faulty GPU.

Usually reflowing graphic chip solves this problem.

It is a common problem with these models.

Many informations about this solution you may find here.

I recommend you especially post number 9 which is written by CherylG.

HP Recommended

it is definetly the CPU. I have seen it on MANY hp's. They are bad about overheating and it burns out the cpu and unfortunately by the time you realize it, the motherboard is beyond repair from the overheating!!!

HP Recommended

it is not the CPU, is the GPU. It has to do with your integrated graphics card. You need to reflow your motherboard. If you take it to any geek place to repair it, it will cost you around $100.00, but you can do it yourself with extremelly care.

here is a web site where they explain how to do it. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/56202-35-what-reflow-laptop-repair

I have done it in many laptops that I have repaired. It works!!!.

{Personal Information Removed} is my email if you want to contact me.

HP Recommended
Change the fan on the processor.I have worked on computers for over 30 years and have dealt with this.see if you can get a higher quality fan for the laptop.
HP Recommended

HI,

I have same problem with one of my costumer computer!

I check all connectors, battery, Charger, HDD, Internal Battery, keyboard, USBs Connectors, Fans,.. nothing look good! 

then I remove the cooling system and check video card, man that was a mess there, (there is some pictures, so you see the real problem I have)

well after cleaning the video card, rework video card and adding termal paste/pad............ it works 100%%%

please do it, u will not regret! 

IMG_0256.JPG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.