Question

Honor Student
Juilus
Message 1 of 91 (14,493 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Mediasmart DVD failure

[ Edited ]

I placed a blu-ray disc in a on monday. I went to watch it today and couldn't get it to load so I tried to play a regular DVD got the same message saying "no disc in drive". This happened with regular DVD and Blu-ray any help would be great.

edit: Spelling FTW

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 91 (14,477 Views)

Re: HP Mediasmart DVD failure

Please tell me what the model number is of your laptop. I have a few things to try, but I need your model number.

Honor Student
Juilus
Message 3 of 91 (14,472 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7-3165dx

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 91 (14,466 Views)

Install this BIOS.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-84198-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

When installing the BIOS the battery should be in place and the adapter connected and plugged in. Disconnect all USB devices ( printer, any dongles in the USB ports), do not turn on any Bluetooth devices that you may be using.

Download the BIOS to the desk top and run it from there. Do not install it from a temporary folder.

Leave your WiFi button turned on, but disconnect from the internet by turning your modem off.

When the BIOS begins to install it will indicate which one you are running. If it is the same as the one I gave you (F.15) cancel the installation. Reinstalling the BIOS is not like regular software. Reinstalling the same version will have no effect.

If you do run it, do not touch the laptop, not even the mouse pad. When it appears to have finished, let it sit for at least 2 minutes, I like to do 5. Go have a coffee or channel surf. Boot up and do this next. (connect your modem again)

Download and run CCleaner.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Use it to unistall your present Media Smart DVD and then run its registry cleaner and restart. Run the registry cleaner again and if it finds more then restart. Repeat this procedure until it finds nothing. Do not use any other registry cleaner.

Install this version of Media Smart DVD.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-83335-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Again, download the file to the desk top and install it from there as with the BIOS_restart.

Go to the "Control Panel" and choose icon view to find "Auto Play". Make sure Media Smart DVD is chosen for DVD and Blu-ray play back.

Insert a Blu-ray and let it load automatically. Hopefully that should solve your problem.  :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Juilus
Message 5 of 91 (14,467 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks a million is playing Blu-ray and DVD's.

Also thanks for the Firmware update(F.14 to F.15)

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 91 (14,448 Views)

Hey, I am glad it worked out for you ! :smileyvery-happy:

I am curious, did you try to play any movies after the BIOS upgrade or did you go through the whole post before trying a movie ?

Student
Airforcespouse
Message 7 of 91 (12,312 Views)

I have the HP Pavilion dv7 1279wm I am able to put in any software and the dvd works but if I put in a DVD I loose the CD drivers can you help me with this.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 91 (12,276 Views)

If you are not playing Blu-ray's, have you tried Windows Media Player ?

I find your post a little confusing, from what I gather when Media Smart is installed (you referred to it as software ?) it will play a DVD, but then a CD will not play because the driver for the CD will disappear ?

Has Media Smart ever worked for you ? If it has, can you think of what may of caused it to stop working, like any Windows up dates or have you installed some software that may have affected it.

It has been reported that Comodo Firewall prevents Media Smart DVD from installing and running properly.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 9 of 91 (12,108 Views)

It's the Defence+ component of Comodo (whether enabled or not) that can cause problems with Mediasmart DVD.  To resolve this, enter the advanced settings of Defence+ and open the Image Execution Control Settings.  Click on the Exclusion button and add HPDVDSmart.exe to the list of Exclusions and apply the change.  Re-boot the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
MayurC1997
Message 10 of 91 (11,888 Views)

I have a HP H62-140US. Can you send me the link for the MediaSmart.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation