Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 850 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP EliteBook 850 G2 and I am using the DisplayPort to output to a 4k monitor.  There is an adapter that converts the display port to HDMI. I am using a Monster HDMI cable. The highest resolution available to me currently is 1920x1080. I am trying to get 3840x2160.  I have used other laptops and I have no issue getting 3840x2160.  I have downloaded and installed the latest graphic card drivers for this notebook but I cannot seem to get the PC to recognize the monitor's capabilities of getting a higher resolution. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Please advise.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@IndvduallyWarpd wrote:

Hello,

I have a HP EliteBook 850 G2 and I am using the DisplayPort to output to a 4k monitor.  There is an adapter that converts the display port to HDMI. I am using a Monster HDMI cable. The highest resolution available to me currently is 1920x1080. I am trying to get 3840x2160.  I have used other laptops and I have no issue getting 3840x2160.  I have downloaded and installed the latest graphic card drivers for this notebook but I cannot seem to get the PC to recognize the monitor's capabilities of getting a higher resolution. 

Please advise.  Thanks!

I'd wager it's a hardware limitation with the DP to HDMI adapter you're using.  What is the model of that adapter?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@IndvduallyWarpd wrote:

Hello,

Please advise.  Thanks!

I'd wager it's a hardware limitation with the DP to HDMI adapter you're using.  What is the model of that adapter?

HP Recommended
Looking at the adapter, you're probably right. I got it off the shelf at Fry's Electronics and it doesn't have any identifying markings on it. I didn't pay much for it.

I'll try looking for another adapter and report back once I have one.
HP Recommended

@IndvduallyWarpd wrote:
Looking at the adapter, you're probably right. I got it off the shelf at Fry's Electronics and it doesn't have any identifying markings on it. I didn't pay much for it.

I'll try looking for another adapter and report back once I have one.

Just make sure to look out for the max supported resolution.  Most of the top results on Amazon are 1920x only.

HP Recommended

Kalt,

That was it - new adapter purchased - making certain it was certified for 4k, and I am a happy camper now. 

Thanks for your input!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.