Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Split 13 x2 m-110dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

WAS  running OK with crackced screen but touchscreen was not responsive to touch.  Then screen went black.

Replaced screen/digitizer with new, Updated BIOS to most current. Updated drivers except video.  Get error message that it is not compatible.  It's a Intel processor which HP supports and the update is for the Intel processor.  Confused on that one.  Not even sure if that is the problem at this point.  Tried hard reset. Nada.  Hate to think I just threw money away.  Is there a "video card" that goes bad?  Not a techie so ... just gutsy enough to try to fix with a lot of patience and courage!

HELP!!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@lanie7544

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Split 13-m110dx x2 Notebook PC and you replaced the display screen. Now you get an error message that it is not compatible. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Was the screen replaced by a local computer store?
  • Was an HP branded screen installed or some other screen?
  • What is the exact error message?

Meanwhile, I did some research and found the service manual fo your laptop. Also, this laptop supports a 13.3-inch diagonal HD LED- backlit IPS touchscreen display (1366 x 768)

If some other screen has been installed then it might give an error. HP does not recommend replacing the hardware with non-HP recommended parts.

Please feel free to let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back with me MKazi!  The screen was purchased on line; not from HP.  Hp wanted 2.5 x's as much for a new one.  The Laptop/PC was having the black screen issue before I replaced it.  It WAS my husband's - he replaced it with another non-HP product.  He had cracked the screen but was still able to use it.  Then the touchscreen went out on it after quite a while.  Then it turned completely black.  That is when he purchased another product.  I took it over and decided to "step out of the box" and try to fix it before tossing in.  As mentioned, it wors perfectly on the TV screen but that kind of defeats the "tablet"/portability option!

Is there a REAL diagnotic tool on the HP website that can test and see what is bad on the monitor/tablet.....I've updated the BIOS (was scared to even try that but it went fine) and it looks like the drivers are all up to date.  Is there a possibility of the Graphics Card/Driver having issues and if so, can that be updated/replaced?

Thank you and I sincerely appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

@lanie7544

Thank you for your reply. 🙂

If the tablet screen goes off when you detach from the base (keyboard) then it is quite possible that there may be a connection issue inside the tablet. Please observe if only the screen goes off or the entire tablet powers off if detached from its base.

Because if the entire tablet powers off then it could be related to the battery inside the tablet and maybe there is a loose connection with the battery or the battery is defective. If it's only the display then you will contact the place of purchase of the screen.

Let me know what happens. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hey Kazi!  The problem is the orignal tablet screen went black and never came back on.  Even with replacement.  Everything runs fine as seen on TV with HDMI attached.  Can do anything I need to BUT use the tablet screen.

Is it possible to run a Graphics AND Video diagnostic from the HP website.  There must be some type of diagnostic tool out there that can tell where the problem is, isn't there?

Thx,

Elaine

HP Recommended

Sorry Kazi - Meant to mention that the tablet runs fine when detached.  Can hear the fan, etc. running so it does have power......

HP Recommended

@lanie7544

Thank yo for the information. I appreciate that. 🙂

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

You may try to run the hardware tests on the HP Split 13-m110dx x2 Notebook using the below steps: (NOTE: you will have to connect the external TV)

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please run a video test. Video - This test includes 3 tests of the video hardware on your computer. Select one of the following tests, then click Run Once.
  • Video Memory Fast Check - 3 minute video memory test

• Video Memory Check - 20 minute memory test

• Palette Check - 1 minute test of the three video color components. Follow the on-screen instructions during the test.

You may try to run a touch Screen but I cannot guarantee it will work because there is a blank display- Quick interactive test to determine if the touch screen is functioning correctly. Click Touch Screen, then Run once.

If nothing works then the only option is to reach out to HP phone support to explore the service options. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks Kazi - I'll give it a shot (while watching the SuperBowl on another TV) and let you know how it turns out!!  Appreciate your going the extra mile with me and the praise 🙂 for my efforts!!!  

Elaine

HP Recommended

@lanie7544

You're welcome Elaine. 🙂

I'll watch for your response. Take care!

HP Recommended

Hi Kazi!  What a crazy game!!!  Was rooting for the Falcons 😕

I can't even get the Diagnostics window up.....nothing happens when I keep pressing F2 and if I let up for a second, windows is loaded and takes me to the logon screen!  Is there another way to get to the Diagnostics on this?  i have the latest version on my USB but it won't download.  It starts to and then flashes past the "Finish" screen - (I've got it hooked up to one of our TV's with the HDMI.)

I'm wondering if it is one of the graphics drivers.  I did some drilling down, eeeks, and discovered there was an issue with the "Intel(R) 8 series PCI express root Port  #1 - 9C10"  which looks like it tried to load a few times and states "Device not started".  There appears to be 3(!!!) of these; Port #2 - 9C12 and Port #3 - 9C14.  Not sure what the Intel(R) 8 Series SMBus Controller - 9C22 is but it is NOT installed...  Next item is   Intel(R) Management Engine Interface which reads:

in Events: 1/23/17 Device configured (oem37.inf), 1/23/17 Device not started (MEIx64), 1/23/17 Device installed (heci.inf)

Then under information it states:

Device PCI

\VEN_8086&DEV_9C3A&SUBSYS_2158103C&REV_04\3&11583659&)&B) requires further installation.

????totally losr on this jargon!!!

HELP!

Elaine

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.