Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi there!

I am facing a problem with my HP Pavilion 15-eg2057TU laptop. The brightness buttons are not responding as expected. Initially, they did not work at all. So, I tried to increase the brightness using the slider. However, when I pressed the increase brightness button, it instead turned down to the lowest level. Can you please suggest a way to fix this issue? It would be really helpful. Thank you!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Charlotteeheehe,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing a software issue with your HP Pavilion 15 laptop's brightness controls. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

• Restart Your Laptop: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve software glitches. Try restarting your laptop and see if the brightness buttons start working properly afterward.
  • Update Graphics Drivers: Outdated or corrupted graphics drivers can cause issues with brightness controls. You can update your graphics drivers through the Device Manager in Windows or by visiting the HP website and downloading the latest drivers for your specific model.
  • Adjust Power Settings: Sometimes, power settings can affect brightness controls. Go to Control Panel > Power Options and check the settings for your current power plan. Make sure that the brightness settings are configured correctly.
  • Disable Adaptive Brightness: Windows includes a feature called adaptive brightness, which automatically adjusts the screen brightness based on ambient light conditions. This feature can sometimes interfere with manual brightness controls. You can disable adaptive brightness by going to Control Panel > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings. Then, navigate to Display > Enable adaptive brightness and set both "On battery" and "Plugged in" to "Off".
  • Update BIOS: Updating your laptop's BIOS can sometimes resolve hardware-related issues. However, be cautious when updating BIOS, as an incorrect update can cause permanent damage to your system. Visit the HP support website and download the latest BIOS update for your laptop model.
  • Perform System Restore: If the issue started recently after a software update or installation, you can try performing a system restore to revert your system to a previous state when the brightness controls were working fine.
  • Check for Physical Damage: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's possible that there could be a hardware problem with the brightness buttons or the display panel itself. 

Try these steps one by one and see if any of them resolves the issue with your brightness controls.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.