Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8570w Mobile Work
Linux

Dear everyone,

To not waste anyone's time I'll try to formulate my question as clear and direct as possible. Additional information that may be important will then be given. In short my question is the following:

Is my particular system (HP Elitebook 8570w Mobile Work station, a notebook) compatible with the NVIDIA  Quadro K1000M driver for Linux (x64)?  

The following background information may be useful to see where I'm coming from and to be able to answer my question.

Background info:

In the past I have installed Linux Ubuntu next to the pre-installed Windows 7 on this machine. Everything worked well except for the video card (dragging windows around the screen wasn't smooth which is very irritating). I assumed that I had to install the correct driver for the video card which is also compatible with Linux. Having done a little searching on the internet I tried both a `default' Linux driver as well as a driver form NVIDIA that was supposed to work with a Linux (x64) system. However the problem was not solved and actually became worse as time progessed. Finally I abandoned the Linux system and went back to Windows altoghether. 

Now I want to give it another try so I have looked up the driver that is supposed to work with my video card and a Linux (x64) system.  At the tab `additional information' however it says the following:

Note that the list of supported GPU products is provided to indicate which GPUs are supported by a particular driver version. Some designs incorporating supported GPUs may not be compatible with the NVIDIA Linux driver: in particular, notebook and all-in-one desktop designs with switchable (hybrid) or Optimus graphics will not work if means to disable the integrated graphics in hardware are not available. Hardware designs will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please consult with a system's manufacturer to determine whether that particular system is compatible.

So as I understand this is the correct driver for my video card for a Linux system. The question if it works on my particular hardware system (HP Elitebook) is however not answered. I am affraid it will not because when I installed the NIVDIA driver before, it was also the correct driver for the video card and Linux, but it didn't work well. As my HP warrenty has expired I can't get official technical support (right?) so I hope that anyone of you can help me with this question.

Thanks in advance!

Alwin

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.