Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp 15-f039wm
Linux

I have bought a used 15-f039wm laptop (with the intent of web browsing and small applications). I have noticed while looking at pictures and videos, there are flicking green dots on the screen (mostly on the color brown). These dots do not occur on an external monitor, and I have also ruled out the lvds cable. I've tried different drivers, and operating systems, but they still occur. Any idea what's causing this? It's extremely annoying. Feel free to ask for additional information

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Using the intel graphics control panel, I set the display's refresh rate from 60hz to 40hz. The green dots have completely vanished! Anyway, why would setting the display to 60hz cause these display issues?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@lucas10207

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP 15-f039wm Notebook. I understand that there are small dots on the screen and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

• Due to the nature of LCD technology, a certain number of dots (pixels) might not display correctly. If the display has too many pixel defects within a certain area, the defects might obstruct proper viewing of images on the display.
  • Install the updated BIOS and graphics drivers to eliminate any potential software display problems.
  • Click here to know how to update the bios.
  • Click here and update the drivers.

You can also refer this link for pixel defects. Click here.

If that does not work, contact HP Phone support for service options.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Bios and driver updates did nothing. I should have mentioned the green dots on the display are not stationary.

HP Recommended

Using the intel graphics control panel, I set the display's refresh rate from 60hz to 40hz. The green dots have completely vanished! Anyway, why would setting the display to 60hz cause these display issues?

HP Recommended

@lucas10207

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

Good to know that issue is fixed after changing the refresh rate to 40 Hz.

May be your screen supports 40 Hz, so I request you to continue using it in 40 Hz refresh rate.

Feel free to contact us in future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.