Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 18 (260 Views)

HP lap top screen white dotted flickering lines

Product Name: Envy x360 15 inch lap top
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just bought an expensive HP 2 in 1 lap top (15 inch Envy x360) and having set it all up I have found that about 80% of the time the screen displays flickering white dotted lines, usually vertical about an inch apart.  These are not continuous lines, but rather they are rapidly flickering very small dots - a bit like a pinstripe suit but more erratic.  When I am working on a white background (e.g. while writing this post) I cannot see it, but on a dark background e.g. watching a film or when opening the start meny, it is noticeable.   It is just about tolerable, but very irritating and is I think giving me a headache.   I have tried projecting to my TV as an external monitor and the problem persists, so it must be a lap top hardware or a software fault.   Does anyone have any tips as to whether and if so how I can put this right from home myself?  Please note whilst I have been using computers for c. 25 years I am not an IT techie so plain English would be helpful in any replies!  Many thanks all and Happy New Year.

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 18 (213 Views)

Re: HP lap top screen white dotted flickering lines

Hi @Axilotl

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are having issues with the display of the computer.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below link to fix this issue.

http://hp.care/2eG33vJ

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 3 of 18 (188 Views)

Thanks for the reply Fossette, but none of the various display problems summarised in the link you provided applies.  I have carefully gone through each of them and they are each describing a different kind of problem.  What I am seing are rapidly flickering very small (pinprick sized) white dots in vertical lines (each line is about an inch apart).  Against a black background it looks like a kind of glitter or "rain" effect. 

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 18 (162 Views)

Hi @Axilotl,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, As I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having the same issue. I'll be more than glad to help you from here,

I would suggest you check in the Bios and see if the screen flickers with white dots in vertical lines. If it's visible in the Bios, this clearly indicates an hardware issue. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service options. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 5 of 18 (142 Views)

Many thanks, but I have not been able to access Bios.  I have tried everything - restarting and pressing Esc or F10 etc. repeatedly but nothing seems to work.  However, you should note that the flickering problem disappears when I restart the computer, and then comes on gradually after an hour or two - so if I don't get into Bios until after restarting then I am not sure that would prove anything.   However, what may be relevant is that when I click "restart" whilst the display is flickering with the dots, I then see a crystal clear blue background (with no dots) with the "restarting" message in the middle.   I wonder if this therefore tells you what you need to know (i.e. the problem disappears as soon as I go into the "restart" mode...

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 18 (135 Views)

Hi @Axilotl,

You're Welcome. I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you are unable to access Bios, even after performing a hard reset. Since you mentioned that the screen flickering disappears if you leave it for couple of hours, I would suggest you try to follow these steps here:

Update the Bios, graphics card and the chipset drivers, using this link.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 7 of 18 (131 Views)

Sorry but the flickering does not disappear after a couple of hours. It is the opposite. It comes on gradually within a couple of hours. Is your advice still the same?
HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 18 (129 Views)

Hi @Axilotl,

Thanks for the update, I would suggest you follow the steps suggested in the previous post and let me know how it goes. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 9 of 18 (118 Views)

I am now facing mote serious problems. I clicked on the link and installed the Bios update as you suggested but now I cant get my lap to restart at all. I keep getting a screen that says "choose an option" eg "continue" or "Turn off yoyr PC" but whatever I choose I keep coming vavk to yhe same welcome screen. This is critical please help urgently
HP Support Agent
Message 10 of 18 (110 Views)

Hi @Axilotl,

Thanks for replying, As I understand now the PC is not booting into windows after the Bios update, Don't worry, we'll try few other steps which should help to resolve the issue,

Run the System diagnostics test from F2

Run the extensive test on the Hard drive from F2

Depending on the test results, if all the test passes, I would suggest you perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing this will wipe off everything from the computer and if this option fails, which means either the partition is corrupted or system file is missing.

Link to perform System recovery: Click here

The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation