Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavilion laptop, which is still under warranty, has developed a tiny white dot (dead pixel) , which gets rather annoying every time I see it sitting on my screen, how can this be fixed? 

I have contacted HP a few weeks ago regarding this and, another unsolved issue with this laptop, but they wernt able to fix them.

I feel ripped off because I have bought additional warranty just to be on the safe side but, every time I sent this unit for a repair, they send it back to me as it was with no faults detected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

A single white pixel is not considered a defect. Laptop manufacturers have a "pixel policy" based on industry standards for acceptable dead pixels. 

HP Recommended

Understandable but its still annoying, and makes me think its been made very cheaply by HP because, its already been replaced for sunspot issue, a few months ago. Also, the other problem of the static noise has not been resolved. Where is your ''industry standards''? This is unacceptable. And thanks for your reply. 

HP Recommended

HP does not make screen panels. And you did not even bring up any of the other issues so we know nothing about that. 

Sorry for your troubles. 

HP Recommended

I know all the components of my laptop (or other of any other lines) are put together by HP i.e. Soundcard is by Realtek, Graphics Card by Nvidia, Processor by Intel, SSD by Samsung and, Hard Drive by Toshiba... Display 39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080) So, are you suggesting I should contact this screen panel manufacturer?

And its ok, I'm sorry too for not mentioning it, I was trying to be more specific but, here is the post for the other issue:-

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Random-dim-noise-hiss-when-wearing-any-headphones/m-p/6...

HP Recommended

No HP warrants the components. I was just responding to the suggestion that somehow the components are cheaply made by HP. The screen is the same general kind you would find in a Lenovo or Acer computer. HP has no way to palm off inferior products; they all come from the same place. The same assembly line makes HP laptops as Acer laptops. It is not possible to make screen panels perfectly. In fact, on some super high premium laptops one of the benefits is they manually check the panels for any dead pixels and have a no bad pixel policy but these are $2500 laptops which are only sold in very small numbers. 

Have you confirmed you get the "hiss" through other headphones? I have 3 HP notebooks here running Windows 10, including a new Omen 15 inch which is very similar to your gaming notebook. I tried bluetooth and wired headphones in each. I am an older guy, and my hearing is not real good in certain ranges, but I am not hearing a hiss. 

HP Recommended

I totally understand that nothing is perfect, even us humans, but sometimes we can be fixed too. I'm sure you'd be disappointed as well if your HP machines develops dead pixels. However, It is ridiculous and irrelevant to bring an example of super high premium laptops because, I have paid significant amount of money to buy this machine too  so it should be of a good make as well.

By cheaply made I mean by its build quality, I have an IBM Lenovo T61 I've bought it for just £140 amazing build quality, its really tough compare it £750 HP Pavilion gaming notebook even its power jack/pin is getting loose. I wish I had gone with a newer Lenovo not with HP.

Yes, I get the hiss from any of my four headphones, its a dim hiss noise usually happens when I run a program, play a youtube video or, a soundcloud track, but more when I run the gaming platform Steam. Its all been mentioned in this post https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Random-dim-noise-hiss-when-wearing-any-headphones/m-p/6... I used to get this same hiss noise on my other HP Envy notebook too. I tried to record this noise with audacity to send it to HP customer support, but it showed no sound wave in the file, just empty. I just get the feeling that every time I talk to someone from HP, they think I am making it up but the noise is definitely there.

HP Recommended

Lenovo has a pixel policy that applies to Thinkpads:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht004254

If your LCD has 2 or less visible defective pixels, it should not be considered faulty. However, if your LCD has 3 or more visible defective pixels, it will be deemed as defective by Lenovo and is replaceable upon request, if within the warranty period.

You keep changing the game here. Originally you said the laptop was made cheaply because there was a bad pixel. I pointed out that on consumer laptops (even a Thinkpad T series, which is a business class laptop), this is not grounds for objection. Unless you spend $2500 on a custom built laptop. Things are different in first class than in coach or even business class. It's not irrelevant. 

I just get the feeling that every time I talk to someone from HP, they think I am making it up

I don't know if you are making it up or not. It is entirely subjective and your credibility is exactly the issue. If you refuse to accept a perfectly valid point, labelling it, what:

ridiculous and irrelevant

one has to wonder. Some people just like to be unhappy. I don't work for HP. I don't have any dog in this fight so I will leave you to your own devices. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

I was just giving an honest and overall review on this laptop that's all, I'm not changing the game here. And, I was talking about Lenovo's T61 build quality not their pixel policy.

When I bought this notebook Directly from the HP website, there was no mention of classes, which you are referring to, everything was presented perfectly, when I choose to buy this. I'm a home user not a business so your ''perfectly valid point'' is irrelevant

Nevertheless, I've clearly accepted most of your points but you keep counter arguing and disregarded my points.

My HP pavilion gaming notebook is a great machine in terms of its specs, not its overall build quality (from the issues which I've mentioned before). If you unhappy too to accept that then I have nothing else to add.

HP Recommended

Hello Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.