Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV6 6b66ew
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I know, it's well known problem but I'm trying to solve from couple weeks unsuccesfully.. All discussions i found in many forums are really old and actually does not work.. Most probably there is only one working set of drivers (maybe sequence), but which one?!?!?!

I have old laptop HP Pavilion DV6 6b66ew which I would like to bring to live (good enough for me). But I have an issue with drivers.

Right now I'm trying to install drivers on Win7 and Win10 (on two separate SSDs).

In both systems problem is similar, I cannot switch between intel and amd cards.

I tried drivers from official HP (very old ones),  from AMD, and from leshcatlabs, but all failed.

Right now situation is as follow:

- Win10 it's running only on Intel card, somehow I can run Civilization 6 on it (I should be able to choose card there, but I'm not)..

- Win7 I cannot even start Civilization 6 (or even 5), I have an error there, saying I do not have compatibile graphic card..

More to that, when I try to run some of drivers from HP (sp55098) I have an error that "system does not meet the minimum requirements for installing"

Couple years ago (around 2014-16) I was able to do it somehow on win7 but then I did not used laptops after that..

Finally I would preffer to end up with everything working correctly on Win10, but if it's not possible then at least at Win7.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

hi

curious, I remember that the drivers leshcatlabs, troubleshoot for a lot of problems!
but given you have the drivers available for your model, this should work
If you have the same version of original windows, it shouldn't be a problem, maybe it's just missing something more...
You have tried both drivers, Intel then AMD:

HP Software Framework

4.5.10.16.3 MBMay 9, 2012Download

intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

8.15.10.229164.9 MBSep 16, 2011Download

AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver

8.882.2.3000339.0 MBNov 18, 2011Download

NOTE : This graphic driver support the installation on systemwith AMD switchable-graphics only.

Supported Devices and Features
Mobile Intel HD Graphics
Radeon HD 6490M
Radeon HD 6770M
Radeon HD 7470M
Radeon HD 7690M XT

Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Starter 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Edition

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hmm.. interesting.. 

I tried all 3 you mentioned one by one.. so:

1. Framework - I already had

2. Intel HD - system does not meet the minimum requirements for installing

3. I'm sure I did that one before. 

I tried again SP55098, still the same, system does not meet the minimum requirements for installing

But now.. suprise, suprise.. Civ6 is working! But only on Intel.. 😞

So it is now the same situation on Win7 as on Win10

Do you have something to check which card is currently in use?

By the way, I have Win 7 Pro 64bit

HP Recommended

I doubt it will work on windows 10
But in the past I have often seen problems with this type of configuration, only when changing systems..
And we managed to settle it, only we lost everything when the French forum closed!
it should work with the drivers, since indicated compatible, something must be missing..
There is nothing more as information of the error message?
I doubt it will pass, but try those for windows 8

AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

9.0.0.0297.2 MBNov 23, 2012Download

Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

9.17.10.2817136.5 MBOct 1, 2012Download

you have installed windows updates here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-6b00-entertainment-notebook-pc-seri...

"Do you have something to check which card is currently in use?"

this had to be configured in the amd control panel, but if not installed..
It seems to me that documents have been deleted, I no longer find what corresponded here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-dv6-6b00-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5145688/m...

if windows 8 not ok in windows 7 , so try

HP Software Framework

4.5.12.16.3 MBJun 15, 2012Download

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver

9.2.0.1030 Rev.2.4 MBNov 18, 2011Download

AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

8.900.7.1000173.5 MBNov 18, 2011Download

check microsoft versions of net framework also

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/details.aspx?id=21

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/get-started/system-requirements

it seems to me that sometimes if a version was missing some applications could not be installed

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Ok.. that's officall.. I do not understand what is happening now at all..

I just changed settings in BIOS to fixed and in win7 I was able to run civ6 on AMD!!! Graphic benchmark was well , I started game also well but then I got error:

Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error reading address 0x0

Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ??? ???, line 0

Nothing has changed in win10

Now I'm back to Dynamic settings and again I have in Win7 only intel working

Now I'm thinking that AMD card might be damaged/fried? What do you think? Can I confirm it somehow?

I will try drivers you proposed for Win10 in couple hours.

HP Recommended

This is the type of document I was looking for.
I knew there were two options, one as you seem to have, editable from the bios, the best from memory
the other, configurable only under windows
I'm not sure if this necessarily indicates a problem with the graphics chip.
it could be related to several things, the game, RAM, graphics...
you should try several games!
note, I didn't follow it well, it seems to me, it's only the intel that won't want to install, the amd driver no problem, is that it?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Ok, I just tried all drivers you mentioned. Nothing has changed.

I did a tests on both bios settings. At the end I tried once again leshcatlabs also on both settings. In both cases Intel drivers were installed but AMD couldn't. 

The fact that I was able somehow in fixed mode to run AMD in Win7 (civ6) and crashed soon after, make me feel more and more that maybe AMD card is broken.. 

I don't think is it caused by game itself. I use it there because I know that in settings I can choose card I want to use. Probably there is easiest way I don't know 😉

Is there any let's say easy way to check if graphic itself is fine or broken?

Earliest in the weekend I will be able to maybe test on another laptop I have, DV6 6150ew (almost the same, there is only i5 instead of i7)

But untill that time I can test all possible software/drivers solutions.

HP Recommended

the best solution would have been a factory recovery, which you can't do, if you hadn't created the hp recovery kit
there is a test user, but even with the usb key system, I don't know if it will work, and if it will give a result:

HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures | HP® Customer Support In all this, I no longer have the thread..
which driver gives an error, intel, amd, both?
what do you have in the device manager, error, version of the drivers installed?

I read in another thread that a user had managed to use the drivers from amd directly!

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Unable-to-install-AMD-Intel-Switchabl...

or this

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/I-upgraded-to-Windows-8-How-do-I-get-switc...

---------------------------------------------------

tests

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-6b00-entertainment-notebook-pc-seri...

HP UEFI Support Environment

5.2.4.0 Rev.A3.4 MBJun 20, 2013Download

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks for testing software, I was looking for something like this 🙂

Tests done in Win7 were positive, no issues but it doesn't inicate which graphic card is tested. In Win10 testing program is shutted down right after any video card test started (but here is showing which card will test). All other tests like CPU were OK on both systems.

Which driver gives an error? Too many 🙂
Well at some point were both. On the beginning of the thread It was Intel, but I also remeber when AMD drivers failed.

Both cards looks fine in device manager. 

Keisimisko_0-1679788672240.png

I also tried drivers directly from AMD before I started this thread. 

Do you know maybe what is responsible for switching cards? Is it separate chipset or processor or cards?

HP Recommended

Ok but which versions are installed
currently I'm only talking about windows 7!
I know that there were already difficulties with windows 8, so I don't know at all if it could work with windows 10
I don't understand your last question

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.