Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new X360, has the 10th gen i7, 16gb RAM, 500 some-odd storage, intel iris plus graphics.

-Since the beginning I've been unable to game on this computer, even though it's an old game (the Witcher 1) with all graphic on the lowest settings.  The screen will randomly freeze but the background audio will continue and I have to restart.  

-A few times I've gone to start the computer and I'll get no response, so I have to hold he power button down for 10+ seconds before it'll come on.

-When using what I would think is a not-too intensive software for this computer (Shotcut video editor) it will behave glitchy and lag more than expected with no other programs running at the same time, so much so that it's annoying to even use.

-A few times the screen will go black, but I can still see the mouse pointer.  When I move the mouse or touch the screen, the screen will flash on and off.  Can't seem to do anything but restart.  This particular problem had recently become much worse since yesterday when HP took control of my computer and updated a bunch of drivers.  Last night I tried to watch Netflix and I couldn't even finish one episode because it would go black every 5 minutes or so and need to be restarted.

HP online help is apparently closed for the weekend, so any advice is appreciated!  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@TazzyDev here's what you need to do, start with a hard reset as per HP standards: Click here for details.

If Windows suddenly restarts without warning, or restarts when you try to shut it down, it might be caused by one of several issues. Windows could be set to restart automatically when certain system errors occur. A BIOS update can also resolve the issue. Use the information in this document to resolve issues with the computer restarting unexpectedly.

If the computer restarts unexpectedly and then does not start to Windows, see one of the following documents for steps to resolve this issue:

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

so, have you attempted to capture any error message that appears before or after the device restarts?

Did you try updating the BIOS to resolve the issue? (If not, please click here to find and install it)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher, 

The issues aren't really Windows restarting itself, it's the system freezing in various ways and me having to restart it myself.  When this happens I never receive any sort of code or alarm about the system.  The various ways include the graphics simply freezing, but the audio continuing while gaming or watching videos.  Sometimes I'll have it do a simple task, such as viewing or deleting a JPEG photo in file explorer, and it'll start to "think" with the little wheel and this will not go away, causing the computer to be basically inoperable and so I restart it.  

Other issues include the WiFi, I go to connect to a known good connection and it will not find it at all.  I'll have to shut the WiFi off and on again usually a few times before it finally finds the one I want to connect, and this includes home connections that I connect to every day.  

HP had me do some driver updates which did nothing, then finally they had me reinstall the graphics and that helped with the one problem of the graphics freezing while gaming, but reintroduced another problem: now the game simply shuts down.  It all of a sudden disappears and my desktop is there like I never opened the game at all.

The biggest problem with this all is it's unpredictable when the issues will appear, so when i'm on the phone with HP, after HOURS of dealing with them for the 5th time, they'll have me try to watch a video or play a game for 10 minutes and the problem doesn't appear, so they mark it as a win and write me off, only for the problems to start up 15 minutes later.

I haven't done the hard reset because I have some programs I don't want to lose, so that's my final resort.  I'm so fed up and over this!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.