Post new question
Question

HMC Top Student
Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (1,666 Views)

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 - Win 10 says not compatible

Microsoftsays they won't upgrade my Win 8.1 HP Pavilion notebook PC to Win 10 because the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 is incompatible.  I see much talkon boards  about other GeForce cards/displays but not seeing anything specific to 7600.  Not too savvy about hardware so not sure where to turn.  Input, please!

Associate Professor
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 7 (1,654 Views)

Re: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 - Win 10 says not compatible

HMC

simply used the last drivers Nvidia had on the site, 179.48. I installed in compatibility mode, but the driver didn't load. I then went into Device Manager and manually selected and installed it. Rebooted and it's been fine since.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Provost
Message 3 of 7 (1,653 Views)

Hi,

You are not alone. Please check the following discussion:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/862879/windows-10-nvidia-geforce-go-7600-shows-as-microsoft...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HMC Top Student
Top Student
Message 4 of 7 (1,597 Views)

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time discerning what piece of advice I should follow and why.   Sorry, I'm not a gamer, not a geek, just a 72 year old woman with a degree in CS but that was in the 70's.  Give me a break and break it down a bit more for me, please.  So I've followed the latest advice and have found the recommended NVIDIA 178.49 driver and am poised to attemp to download and install it.  But wait!  If I do that on my 8.1 system, will that make it possible to download Win 10?  How do I bypass the "it's not compitible with your driver" message when I try to get my free upgrade?  Or do I find a way to first force an upgrade of 10 somehow (how?) and THEN do this driver stuff?

HMC Top Student
Top Student
Message 5 of 7 (1,594 Views)

I had typo in driver - it's 179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_beta.exe.  I've decided to take my questions to the NVDIA user blog where I've been following their info, per your suggestion.

Top Student
Message 6 of 7 (55 Views)

[ Edited ]

go2 wrote:

HMC

simply used the last drivers Nvidia had on the site, 179.48. I installed in compatibility mode, but the driver didn't load. I then went into Device Manager and manually selected and installed it. Rebooted and it's been fine since.

I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 32-bit laptop with the nVidia GeForce Go 7600. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the maximum screen resolution became 1024x768 or thereabouts. So I downloaded the nVidia 179.48 32-bit driver and tried installing it in compatibilty mode for Vista SP1 and it worked. Go figure. I checked the release dates for Vista Service Packs and selected accordingly.

Top Student
Message 7 of 7 (18 Views)

OK so everything was fine 

james_mc wrote:

go2 wrote:

HMC

I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 32-bit laptop with the nVidia GeForce Go 7600. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the maximum screen resolution became 1024x768 or thereabouts. So I downloaded the nVidia 179.48 32-bit driver and tried installing it in compatibilty mode for Vista SP1 and it worked. Go figure. I checked the release dates for Vista Service Packs and selected accordingly.

OK so everything was fine with my 179.48 until I tried dual monitors. No go. More digging - I need dual monitors. First thing is nVidia adapters in desktop computers are called "GeForce" whereas in laptops they're called "GeForce Go." Nvidia driver 309.08 was commonly recommended as an upgrade for GeForce 7600's but my GeForce Go 7600 wasn't officially listed. I tried it anyway and it bombed but then I couldn't reinstall the 179.48. Nvidia driver 307.68 was then recommended by those who had the same problem. Had to use a download site to get it rather than nVidia's - not there that I could find. But it installed smoothly and supports dual monitors.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation