Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 11-n010dx x360 PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Product number: F9J18UA#ABA

At first the touchscreen responded to touch.

I updated Windows yesterday morning.

The touchscreen did not respond to touch.

I ran HP Support Assistant/HP Updates.

The touchscreen responded to touch.

Last night there were additional Windows updates.

The touchscreen did not respond to touch.

I ran HP Support Assistant/HP Updates.

There were no updates available.

The touchscreen still does not respond to touch.

Device Manager/Human Interface Devices does not list a touch device.

What do I need to do to get my touchscreen running again?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi! @Lumpy1, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you have touch screen issues after updating windows 8.1 on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Please uninstall graphics driver from device manager and install the latest graphics driver using this link.

Also, please update BIOS using this link.

If the issue still persists please try performing a system restore and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system restore on a PC.

Please keep me updated.

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

1. Reinstalled the video driver. No joy.

2. Attempted a BIOS update. The update failed likely because I already had an up-to-date BIOS.

3. Didn't attempt the Restore. I'd prefer not to. Everything besided the touch is working so well and I don't want to leave out the security updates.

Is is possible to to re-install the driver for the touchscreen... just the touch component?

HP Recommended

@Lumpy1

Thanks for replying. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot. 🙂

Let us first run a hardware diagnostic check on the touchscreen by following the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Touch Screen - Quick interactive test to determine if the touchscreen is functioning correctly. Click Touch Screen, then Run once.

If the touchscreen test passes, please perform the steps as described in detail from this link for touchscreen troubleshooting: http://hp.care/2jhGsGA

Let me know how this pans out. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI/Componet Test/Touch Screen... The touch worked perfectly.

In Device Manager/Human Interface Devices... there is no touch screen listed.

I find no "Tablet PC Settings" on this computer.

HPSA reports no updates available.

Windows Update 8.1 reports no updates available.

A Hard Reset made no difference.

Isn't there a Windows 8.1 touch driver?

HP Recommended

@Lumpy1

Thanks for letting me know the results. 

I tried to search for the HID drivers on HP and Microsoft web site for the touchscreen but could not locate anything related to this. Sometimes, if the HID drivers are unavailable then we need to depend on Windows updates. 

We can try to refresh (repair) the Windows operating system. This will not delete any data. Please click here to know the select to perform a refresh.

Keep me posted. Thank you! 🙂

HP Recommended

For me it was a Intel Serial IO Driver?? from the pc driver's website. Crazy, support guys ignore this solution. This is an hp-pavilion, I looked the site using the part number in the HP support page and got to the drivers for the exact model. There I started installing all drivers until the Serial IO Driver. It says nothing about touchscreen so you have to guess. It was an Input/Output driver missing.

HP, somebody could include what Serial IO Drivers install so even support guys can solve more issues.

HP Recommended

Yes there is. It was my solution. The failure from HP is to name it correctly or at least include "touchscreen" somewhere. For my HP Pavillion windows 10 touchscreen fix it was an Intel Serial IO Driver from the pc driver's website. I looked the site using the part number in the HP support page and got to the drivers for the exact model. There I started installing all drivers until the Serial IO Driver. It says nothing about touchscreen so you have to guess. It was an Input/Output driver missing.

HP Recommended

Yes there is. It was my solution. The failure from HP is to name it correctly or at least include "touchscreen" somewhere. For my HP Pavillion windows 10 touchscreen fix it was an Intel Serial IO Driver from the pc driver's website. I looked the site using the part number in the HP support page and got to the drivers for the exact model. There I started installing all drivers until the Serial IO Driver. It says nothing about touchscreen so you have to guess. It was an Input/Output driver missing.

HP Recommended

@Lumpy1 wrote:

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI/Componet Test/Touch Screen... The touch worked perfectly.

In Device Manager/Human Interface Devices... there is no touch screen listed.

I find no "Tablet PC Settings" on this computer.

HPSA reports no updates available.

Windows Update 8.1 reports no updates available.

A Hard Reset made no difference.

Isn't there a Windows 8.1 touch driver?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.