Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 17-x030ng
Microsoft Windows 11

One key on my keyboard (HP 17-x030ng W9U63EA) doesn't work. Cleaning and removing the driver didn't help. The error was also on the virtual keyboard of WIN11 and a keyboard connected via Bluetooth.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Wolfgang5228,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're dealing with a unique issue if the non-functional key appears not only on your HP laptop's physical keyboard but also on a virtual keyboard and an externally connected Bluetooth keyboard. Let's break down the possibilities and troubleshooting steps:

Check Software Issues:

• Windows Update: Make sure your Windows 11 is up to date. Sometimes specific bugs or compatibility issues can be resolved with an update.
  • Keyboard Layout and Settings: Verify that the keyboard layout settings in Windows are set correctly (Settings > Time & language > Language & region). Make sure the default input language matches your keyboard's layout.
  • Sticky Keys and Filter Keys: In Windows 11, go to Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard, and ensure that Sticky Keys and Filter Keys are turned off, as these settings can affect how certain keys behave.

Driver Reinstallation:

• You mentioned removing the driver, but let's make sure it was reinstalled properly. Go to Device Manager, locate Keyboards, right-click on your keyboard device, and choose "Uninstall device." Restart your computer, which should automatically reinstall the driver. If it doesn't, download the latest driver from HP's official website for your model.

Test in Different Software:

• Since you mentioned the issue also appears on the virtual keyboard and a Bluetooth keyboard, test the key in different applications (e.g., Notepad, Word, a web browser). This can help determine if the issue is application-specific.

Malware Scan:

• Run a full system scan with your antivirus software. Malware can sometimes affect how inputs, like keyboard keys, are handled.

System File Checker (SFC):

• Run the System File Checker to ensure that any corrupted system files that could be causing the issue are repaired. Open Command Prompt as Administrator and type: sfc /scannow then press Enter. Wait until the process completes and follow any on-screen instructions.

External Keyboard and Boot Environment:

• Since you mentioned that the problem persists even with an external Bluetooth keyboard, check if the issue occurs in BIOS or outside of Windows. Restart your computer and enter BIOS (usually by pressing F10, F2, ESC, or DEL right after turning the computer on). If the key works in BIOS, the problem is likely within Windows. If you can't use the key in the BIOS, there might be a deeper hardware issue or a very unusual software problem affecting all keyboard inputs system-wide.

Windows Restore or Reset:

• If none of the above steps work, consider using System Restore to go back to a previous state before the problem started if available. Alternatively, a Windows reset or reinstallation might be necessary if the issue is deeply embedded within the system.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Wolfgang5228,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're dealing with a unique issue if the non-functional key appears not only on your HP laptop's physical keyboard but also on a virtual keyboard and an externally connected Bluetooth keyboard. Let's break down the possibilities and troubleshooting steps:

Check Software Issues:

• Windows Update: Make sure your Windows 11 is up to date. Sometimes specific bugs or compatibility issues can be resolved with an update.
  • Keyboard Layout and Settings: Verify that the keyboard layout settings in Windows are set correctly (Settings > Time & language > Language & region). Make sure the default input language matches your keyboard's layout.
  • Sticky Keys and Filter Keys: In Windows 11, go to Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard, and ensure that Sticky Keys and Filter Keys are turned off, as these settings can affect how certain keys behave.

Driver Reinstallation:

• You mentioned removing the driver, but let's make sure it was reinstalled properly. Go to Device Manager, locate Keyboards, right-click on your keyboard device, and choose "Uninstall device." Restart your computer, which should automatically reinstall the driver. If it doesn't, download the latest driver from HP's official website for your model.

Test in Different Software:

• Since you mentioned the issue also appears on the virtual keyboard and a Bluetooth keyboard, test the key in different applications (e.g., Notepad, Word, a web browser). This can help determine if the issue is application-specific.

Malware Scan:

• Run a full system scan with your antivirus software. Malware can sometimes affect how inputs, like keyboard keys, are handled.

System File Checker (SFC):

• Run the System File Checker to ensure that any corrupted system files that could be causing the issue are repaired. Open Command Prompt as Administrator and type: sfc /scannow then press Enter. Wait until the process completes and follow any on-screen instructions.

External Keyboard and Boot Environment:

• Since you mentioned that the problem persists even with an external Bluetooth keyboard, check if the issue occurs in BIOS or outside of Windows. Restart your computer and enter BIOS (usually by pressing F10, F2, ESC, or DEL right after turning the computer on). If the key works in BIOS, the problem is likely within Windows. If you can't use the key in the BIOS, there might be a deeper hardware issue or a very unusual software problem affecting all keyboard inputs system-wide.

Windows Restore or Reset:

• If none of the above steps work, consider using System Restore to go back to a previous state before the problem started if available. Alternatively, a Windows reset or reinstallation might be necessary if the issue is deeply embedded within the system.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for my late reply,

i tried all the things you send me in your answering. But nothing changes.

last i buy a new PC . Thank you for Help - i close this thread.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.