Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
X0V29EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello again,

So this is an Omen Desktop and it runs most of the games pretty well all except for Mass Effect Andromeda.

While playing it for 15 minutes the PC would shutdown and wont turn on again;

The unit does not show any errors, no bluescreens no fans that are spinning too fast.

I have performed a power drain and tried a BIOS recovery.

I then updated the BIOS to A0.38 Rev.A and have also removed the Nvidia drivers hence i have done some driver updates through Geforce Experience. I have noticed that the Nvidia driver from the HP site is a lot older than what Nvidia has released.

I have ran a Furmark test again and saw the following statistics:

FPS: 177 - 102
Temperature: 77 - 85

In all fairness, i have noticed that as soon as the temperature reaches 85 the FPS goes well and i agree that it is normal, but, is it alright for the FAN to behave like that, as in to not spin as fast but instead to just throtle the FPS down until the GPU won't overheat?

Also, i have maded it so that the PC won't restart and it will create a small minidump if the OS crashes however i am not sure what exactly is the problem.  At first, i thought its overheating but the PC doesn't seem to do that, in Furmark it is working properly (yes i know that tests the GPU only). My guess is the Nvidia graphics driver thats just not working well for this game and i know from previous experience that sometimes drivers crash and you wont get any notifications.

Anyways, for now I'm testing the unit with the BIOS updated and the graphics driver from the HP support site and so far so good, no games crashes. If you guys have any ideas, any feedback would be much appreaciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello St3ve1

Checked my PC using Furmark @ 1920/1080p for one hour.

I have an ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX OC. You are using an Nvidia 980ti, which has better specs than my 1060. But it should not run as hot as it is running.

My GPU temp is stable @ 57 Degrees C. Frame rates are stable @ 140 FPS. CPU and motherboard temps (38C  to 45C) are well within tolerance and stable.

77 degree to 85 degree GPU temps are not good. I suspect your CPU and motherbord temps are also not good.

You have a cooling/thermal problem. BIOS updates can not fix chassis airflow. Nvidia drivers cannot correct thermal problems. Current Nvidia drivers are usually the way to go for best gaming and stability.

I have no solution other than increasing airflow in chassis.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure what model is the video card i got in the omen desktop but it doesn't look like an Asus with strix cooling. The PC seems to be very quiet  overall and yes it would require a bit of cleaning hence there is quite a lot of dust on it.

About the game crashes, the game is running well now, with the base drivers from the HP site, i had no issues with the game at all. I would agree that most of the times the driver updates are the way to go, but sometimes one version can cause crashes and you wont even know why. I will experiment with future versions just to see if the issue re-appears.

Thank you very much for your reply, i was indeed concerned about the temperatures on the graphics card but was not sure if its alright or not for a high end GPU.

Kind regards,

Steven

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.