Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When i RESTART my laptop [pavilion dv6c16nr] it says that press ESC KEY TO START UP MENU but when i press esc/escape key nothing happens pls help me solve this problem. thanks a lot to this site and more power!:)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and remove the battery.  Follow the procedure on Page 59 of your Maintenance & Service Guide to remove the RTC battery.  When done, hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then leave the notebook for 10 minutes.  Reinsert the RTC battery, replace the covers etc, reinsert the main battery, plug in the AC Adapter and try starting the notebook.

If the above doesn't help, shut down the notebook again.  Try tapping away at f10 as you start the notebook to see if this will enter the bios menu.  If it does, under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab, you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and remove the battery.  Follow the procedure on Page 59 of your Maintenance & Service Guide to remove the RTC battery.  When done, hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then leave the notebook for 10 minutes.  Reinsert the RTC battery, replace the covers etc, reinsert the main battery, plug in the AC Adapter and try starting the notebook.

If the above doesn't help, shut down the notebook again.  Try tapping away at f10 as you start the notebook to see if this will enter the bios menu.  If it does, under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab, you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I run the "Primary hard disk self test" and "memory test" now its working!

thank you so much..!!
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I'd already tried those suggestion but it doesn't work to my HP Dv5, I tapped f10 repeatedly but it doesn't work. Please help!

HP Recommended

I scoured the internet for a few hours before I found this.

We have an HP Pavilion m6-1035dx, and we just followed your (DavidPK) instructions. In our model the RTC battery (I'm more familiar with desktop motherboards and I guess this is like the CMOS battery?) had a funky little hookup with a plug attached to the battery by wire, instead of a little nest it can snap out of. This was much more difficult to remove but we managed.

Your instructions worked perfectly, thanks so much!

HP Recommended

I followed all your steps here and my problem STILL isn't fixed.

After I tap F10, the BIOS never comes up, it freezes on the logo page with text at the bottom saying  :

F10...BIOS Setup Options

and no manner of restart is fixing my issue

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.