Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY M7 n109dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After the BIOS Update yesterday my secondary monitor has not been working. The computer fails to detect it in Device Settings. Since this has happened, I have:

Unplugged/Replugged Cables and made sure everything powers up (when plugging the HDMI from the monitor into the notebook the monitor cycles through Analog and HDMI a few times and goes to sleep so it's getting a connection)

Have tried two HDMI cables, one brand new

Attempted to update drivers, was told that they were updated

Downloaded new drivers from HP Support Assistant and Installed, Rebooted

Rolled back the BIOS to the previous version

I tested the monitor on my MacBook and it works, so it's not the monitor

and the notebook still does not pick up my monitor!

PLEASE HELP! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @sschultz,

Thank you for posting that information. To alert others to what did work for you, please consider marking "Accepted Solution" on your post. This will give it more visibility when others who may have the same issue are looking for help. 

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @sschultz,

Welcome to the HP Forum! It is a fantastic site to find information, tips, and suggestions. For you have the most rewarding experience please review the HP Forums Guide:First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that after doing a BIOS update that you were not able to use your external monitor. It is not being recognized in devices. You have verified that both the monitor and cable are working fine. You have updated the drivers and ran the HP Support Assistant, but there was no change. You then rolled back the BIOS update, but that also did not help.

When the external display is connected if you scan for hardware changes does Device Manager find it?

Did you try running the Windows troubleshooter? 

Have you tried doing a Windows restore back to before the update? HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎.

Please let me know the results.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".  To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs Up”below! 🙂  If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi @sschultz,

A Windows restore should not affect your personal files. However to ensure no data is lost you could do a backup before doing the restore. You can also try running the "System File Checker" to help overcome this issue.

Using System File Checker in Windows 10 (from support.microsoft.com).

Please keep me updated. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles1,

Thank you so much for responding to this and for trying to help. I really appreciate it! 

It's great that restoring should not  affect personal files. That is definitely an advancement. I just don't like jumping to system restore as one of the inital troubleshooting steps considering that you can brick your computer if something goes wrong. 

This has been resolved, but only due to other user's information that I found on the forum. Users complained last year that the BIOS update took out their HDMI output, which was the same issue that I had. They were also asked to restore their computer and check the same things that I did. The fix was to roll back the BIOS, unplug everything from the PC (HDMI cable, mouse, printer, etc.) and reinstall the BIOS update. It worked like a charm. 

If this was something reported by multiple users last year, why doesn't HP either acknowledge the issue (offering a fix instead of digging through forums to find an answer) or fix it? Maybe put a warning into the BIOS update to remove all external devices before updating? Just an idea. If it can't be fixed, it can at least be addressed. 

I didn't choose this particular computer (it's for work and was purchased by my employer) and for the most part it's really nice but this situation lessens my confidence in HP and will be something that I think about when purchasing my next home computer. 

HP Recommended

Hi @sschultz,

Thank you for posting that information. To alert others to what did work for you, please consider marking "Accepted Solution" on your post. This will give it more visibility when others who may have the same issue are looking for help. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I have experienced this identical problem.  I did do a system restore back to the restore point created immediately before the BIOS upgrade.  It had no effect.  I will now attempt what you've identified as a solution.  I'm hoping it works for me as it did for you.

BTW, I also contacted HP support as my PC is only two months old and under warranty.  Support demanded that I pay $99.99 for their help to correct the problem that HP caused.  Not only should HP fix the issue that their BIOS updates are causing on their machines, they shouldn't then try to make their customers pay to fix the problem!!!  After this experience I sincerely doubt I'll continue purchasing HP products.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.