Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x2 10 k020nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

For the second time, Windows 10 Update has automatically installed a "critical update" that causes the touch screen and audio to fail!

First time I managed to do a System Restore to get back to functionality, and when it installed again I re-ran the original Intel Atom Z3000 series driver set (HP file sp72926  signed Oct. 2015), which restored functionality while allowing the Windows Update.

The second time (25 June 2016), I tried reinstalling the drivers but this time it aborted and forced a rollback, leaving me without touch or sound.

Finally I hit upon a solution!  Device Manager revealed that the I2C drivers were failing to load properly (Code 31 errors).

I opened up the "Drivers" folder of the unpacked sp72926 and found a folder "I2C" there.  Inside was a set of files including an .INF file.  I right-clicked it, selected "Install" and voila! Sound and touch instantly returned, without even the need for a reboot (although I did one just to make sure).

No problems for the past several hours.  Appears fixed to me!

Device Manager reports 5 listings of "I2C Controller", all by Intel, all version 604.10143.1010.2969, all dated 2015-06-08

When I updated the I2C driver using Device Manager, Windows Update downloaded and installed version 604.10154.1010.7150, dated 2015-10-01.  Reboot will determine if it still works properly.

EDIT: The updated I2C driver appears to work well.  Audio and touch fully operational.  No other side effects.  SOLVED!

EDIT: An explanation of HID over I2C (Inter-Integrated Circuit) can be found here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj127208(v=vs.85).aspx

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.