Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

When I'm working on my notebook, the screen sometimes starts dimming or brightening itself without my interception. Also, sometimes when in battery mode, the screen doesn't dim; the screen is just very bright.

How does this occur and how can it be fixed?

Hp Pavilion g7-2301ED, Windows 8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The only thing I can think of is that you might have a similar virus on your computer that I had. I managed to remove it. The main symptom is that the start page of all of your internet browsers is dosearches.com.

Otherwise, maybe you should wait like I did. It took about a week to solve itself. Magically.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Hello again Lewistrick,

You should be able to adjust these settings in Windows Power Options.

On the desktop, right click on the little battery icon near the clock. Then click "Power Options". On the left side of this new window, click "Choose when to turn off the display". There should be an option to adjust screen brightness, and when to dim the screen. You can also click "Change advanced power settings" and find even more options that may help.
___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

This should work the same as the dimming buttons on my keyboard (F2 and F3), right? Both don't work. I also tried the advanced power settings, but those also don't work.

Since my last message, the screen will not dim at all any more. It's just very bright.

Also, your answer doesn't explain the random brightness adjustments. It happens even when I'm using my laptop; then it should never adjust brightness.

HP Recommended

..and suddenly, my screen started flashing in black and white and the dimming works again.

I'm happy again, but this shouldn't have happend, right?

HP Recommended

I just updated my Dv6-7010us from Windows 8 to 8.1.  Now having similar issues with odd screen diming and brightening and am unable to locate HP Power Manager software compatible with 8.1 for required reinstall.  Any advice appreciated.

HP Recommended

The only thing I can think of is that you might have a similar virus on your computer that I had. I managed to remove it. The main symptom is that the start page of all of your internet browsers is dosearches.com.

Otherwise, maybe you should wait like I did. It took about a week to solve itself. Magically.

HP Recommended

Hi just wondering how you managed to get rid of the virus?

HP Recommended

I googled it. Something like 'remove dosearches.com'. These are the steps I followed:

http://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-remove-dosearch-com-from-internet-explorer-chrome-firefox/

Remember, it is important to walk through all steps in order to completely remove the virus so that it will not return.

Good luck 🙂

HP Recommended
Thanks heaps 🙂
HP Recommended

my screen just became dim that i can hardly ee any display u can onty see images like shadow in a dark room. i need help to sor it out

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.