Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ac121dx

Recently my laptop has begun to display this random dark grey/black screen. I will be using my laptop and then if I do not move the mouse or touch a key within a minute, the screen goes dark. I know the computer is still on because when i move the mouse or touch a key, the screen will go back to normal. I've tried messing with the display options and recommended settings, but nothing is working. The problem is just annoying and inconvenient, especially as a student. Please help if you know how to fix this problem! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sounds as if the 'blank' screensaver has been activated -or is that one of the display options you mention checking?  Right-click on your Windows 10 desktop, and select Personalize to open Personalization settings. Next click on Lock screen in the left pane. Check the screensaver settings at bottom.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Sounds as if the 'blank' screensaver has been activated -or is that one of the display options you mention checking?  Right-click on your Windows 10 desktop, and select Personalize to open Personalization settings. Next click on Lock screen in the left pane. Check the screensaver settings at bottom.

HP Recommended

oh gosh, i feel so stupid. Easiest fix ever. Thank you so much CherylG!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. Sometimes it is the little things that stump us..don't feel bad.:)

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion Dv7, windows 10, sometime when starting powers on but black screen, and sometimes when I get it on after a little of not using screen turns black like in hypranate. i move mouse or hit enter nothing happens.. doesnt wake up. I check power management make sure never turns off screen saver or hD etc... please help I look online and try everthing , even add an external monitor and it work ok... but goes black after sometime... HP no help,,, 

HP Recommended

Recently my laptop has begun to display this random dark grey/black screen. I will be using my laptop and then if I do not move the mouse or touch a key within a minute, the screen goes dark. I know the computer is still on because when i move the mouse or touch a key, the screen will go back to normal. I've tried messing with the display options and recommended settings, but nothing is working. The problem is just annoying and inconvenient, especially as a student. Please help if you know how to fix this problem! Thanks!

HP Recommended

@jrodriguez2851 If the screen gets back to normal when you move the mouse, it has to be either the screensaver or the sleep mode, if you've checked the screensaver settings and its turned off, I suggest you check the below steps to resolve the issue:

1. In Windows, search for and open Control panel.

2. Make sure the View by setting is set to Category, and then click Hardware and Sound.

3. Click Power Options.

• Change - "Put the computer to sleep" to Never,
    • And Change - "Turn off the monitor" to never.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually it goes on but it you leave the computer 2 or more mins with no action then it goes to black screen, everything working and stays on but screen doesnt come back up, I will have to hold power button down and restart the computer, I have installed window 7, upgraded to window 10, and same thing, i then wipe it out and install window 7 now with clean install even swap HD to SSD and same thing. I have spent hours with this thing and cant fiquire it out...look online ... nothing,,,,,

HP Recommended

@jrodriguez2851 If you've reinstalled windows, downgraded the OS (not recommended by HP) among others, this is most likely a hardware malfunction,

I suggest running an extensive h/w test to identify what's causing the issue:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I believe i did ran that and it didnt find anything...but i will rerun again.. it looks like the grapgic controller or something in video get warm and shuts off video....keep you posted...can u check warrenty?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.