Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hello HP Support,  I need your help!

I have an HP Pavilion 15 Notebook - n068el (energy star), Product number: F6R97EA#ABZ, running on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

System: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz 2.30 GHz, RAM: 4 GB.

Processor Graphics in use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400, GOP version: 5.0.1035.

Since yesterday, after some updates probably, but I don't know which ones, a white vertical line has appeared on the right-hand side of the screen, and it doesn't go away.  I cannot watch films or videos, do any work without this line disturbing the screen, it is really annoying and unpleasant.  Everything else is normal and running properly I think.  

I have tried to solve it by downloading updated versions of the graphics processor, but when I go to your website, for my laptop there are three downloads recommended for the graphics processor:

Driver per scheda grafica Intel ad alta definizione (HD) 2013-11-25 , Versione10.18.10.3325, 158.03M

or

Driver scheda grafica NVIDIA 2013-11-25 , Versione1.10, 340.7M

or

Driver per scheda grafica AMD ad alta definizione (HD)

2013-11-15 , Versione13.151.0.0, 277.22M

I don't know which one I have to download, so I have not downloaded any, and in any case I don't know whether that would solve my problem.

Can you please help me?  

Many Thanks in advance.

Patrizia

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hey Patrizia,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

The first steps that you should attempt is to make sure that the vertical white lines do not appear in the BIOS. To do this I have included the steps below.

1. Turn off your computer
2. Make sure you have connected the power cable
3. Turn on your notebook, as it is starting press the  F10 button repeatedly

Once you are in the BIOS, if the lines are still present, it is likely a hardware failure. The next two steps may resolve the issue. The first one is to do a hard reset. I have included the document 'Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset'. The next and final step is to perform a BIOS update. I have included the information here for you 'Updating the BIOS'.

Let me know if the issue does not appear in the BIOS.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I had this one white vertical line in the rightmost of my screen for a couple of months but recently i noticed another one appeared right next to it. The lines do appear in BIOS. I performed a hard reset and updated my BIOS but it didn't fix it. Any more ideas how to get rid of the lines? 

HP Recommended

Hello Kitty ;-),

In the end I had to call the HP technical assistance and send (they actually come to take it from your place with a courier) my PC for repair.  I was lucky that my PC was still on the warranty!  I am sorry I am not able to help you and the fixes suggested that you tried also did not work for me.

I wish you best of luck,

Patrizia

HP Recommended

Hello Lisa,

Sorry for the late reply to your message.  Yes, the line appeared when I ran the BIOS.  I tried the fixes you suggested but to no avail.  I had to call the HP technical support to have the PC repaired.  Fortunately, it was still under warranty.  It is now fixed and the line has not reappeared.

Thank you anyway and Best Regards,

Patrizia

HP Recommended

A number of issues cause vertical lines on your computer screen,
ranging from software incompatibilities with the computer's drivers to hardware problems involving the magnetic field of the monitor
take a look to those five solutions http://finally-found-the-solution.blogspot.com/2015/06/Fix-Laptop-Screen-Vertical-Lines.html
to different types of vertical lines screen

HP Recommended

Hi, I did the first part of the instruction switching off, plugging in cable then restarting

and pressing f10. The white line disappeared can you tell me why/

HP Recommended

Hi, I did the first part of the instruction switching off, plugging in cable then restarting

and pressing f10. The white line disappeared can you tell me why?

HP Recommended

One of the most common faults with laptops is that the ribbon cable connecting to the LCD panel cracks. It typically fails near the hinge area due to flexing in that region, and over time, some of the tracks on the plastic cable breaks. I have seen these types of faults on many laptops.

HP Recommended
Hi how can you fix this
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.