Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Notebook 2000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was given a 23 inch Dell Monitor to connect to an HP 2000 Notebook. The cable that came with it isn't compatible with the notebook as it's about 4 years old. Which display port would work for me?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

We need to identify what we have for outgoing and incoming ports on each device. Basically there are 4 types of monitor connectors in current use. 

VGA:

HDMI:

DVI (white one on the left):

And Displayport (DP):

The HP 2000 laptop is going to have an HDMI and VGA out port. The monitor we do not know since you do not give us the model but look on the back to see what it has. You only want to use VGA if none of the others are present. VGA is analog and all the others are digital. So lets say the laptop has HDMI out and the monitor has HDMI in (likely if it is newer). All you need then is a cable with HDMI male on both ends. If the monitor has DVI (likely if it is a little older) then you need a DVI male to HDMI female and then you still use an HDMI male to male cable. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=ice_ac_a_t_dpn?ie=UTF8&qid=1464625363&sr=8-1-ac&keywords=hdm...

http://www.amazon.com/Importer520-Plated-Female-DVI-D-Adapter/dp/B0035B4LJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I have plugged in an USB-Cadaptor to the Dell USB socket and then connected to port on the monitor. No signal.

The alternative connection via HDMI on both works well but will not enable camera

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.