Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I am STRUGGLING for some time to control the automatic dim- to sleep feature (or bug??), i have cancelled all the sleep, brightens features so they won't change, but when i use websites or apps that are no for watching content THE SCREEN DIMPS AND THE LAPTOP AUTOMATICALLY GOES TO SLEEP, IN 20 SECONDS OR SO IF I DONT MOVE THE MOUSE. some times it doesnt happen. but mostly does. 

what should i do?!??

thank you, roni kim 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Roni_K,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your laptop's power settings might be causing the screen to dim and the laptop to go to sleep unexpectedly. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue.

• Check Power Settings: Go to your laptop's control panel or settings menu and navigate to the power settings section. Make sure that the settings for screen dimming and sleep mode are configured to your preferences. You can adjust the timing for screen dimming and sleep mode or even set them to "never" if you don't want your laptop to sleep automatically.
  • Update Drivers: Make sure that all your device drivers, especially the display and power management drivers, are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause unexpected behavior.
  • Disable Ambient Light Sensor: Some laptops have ambient light sensors that automatically adjust screen brightness based on the surrounding light. If your laptop has this feature, try disabling it to see if it resolves the issue.
  • Check Background Applications: Certain background applications or system processes might be triggering the screen dimming or sleep mode. Close any unnecessary applications and see if the problem persists.
  • Scan for Malware: Sometimes malware or unwanted software can interfere with system settings. Perform a full scan of your laptop with a reputable antivirus program to rule out any malicious software.
  • Reset Power Plans: If you've made changes to power settings but the issue persists, try resetting your power plans to their default settings. This can sometimes resolve conflicts or issues with customized settings.

By following these steps, you should hopefully be able to resolve the issue with your laptop's screen dimming and automatic sleep mode.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.