Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre

Ever since the recent software update, the external monitor my laptop is connected to won't maintain a connection unless I leave the laptop screen open.  It's connected through hdmi cord and it will flash on and off repeatedly if I close the monitor.  Suggestions?? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @CassOrd,

Thanks for visiting the HP community.:) A very good day to you! 🙂  I read the post regarding flashing screens when the notebook lid is closed after windows update. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Superb effort and spectacular troubleshooting. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 We greatly value your relationship with HP.  

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this:

• Does this happen when the notebook is on battery standby or while the charger is plugged in?
  • Have you checked?
  • When the lid is closed, the computer may be going into some kind of hibernation mode. Have you checked that?
  • Did you try with another HDMI cable just to isolate the issue further?
  • Please provide the complete model# and operating system used.
  • Is it an HP monitor or a different brand monitor or TV?

For starters please try these steps.

• Please uninstall the last software update that caused this and restart the computer and check if it resolves the issue.
  • Please do it from control panel>programs and features> installed  updates>select the update and uninstall it
  • Then restart the computer and check if the issue gets resolved.
  • If it does not, please uninstall the monitor drivers from device manager and check again.
  • Right-click start button>select device manger>Expand monitors>uninstall all the drivers and restart the computer and check if it gets resolved.

• If this does not work, please uninstall the display drivers from device manager by performing these steps:
  • Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Display adapters>then select the display drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the graphics drivers.
  • Please check the box that says “delete the software for this device”.
  • Then restart the computer and update the chipset, bios and display drivers from http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.

This should do the trick for you. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. I'm always there to assist you. Please reach out anytime. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.