Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy ts 17 notebook pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I see i'm not the only one having this issue.  Win 10 upgrade seems to have removed the driver for my webcam.  I tried reinstalling youcam, no luck.  Has anyone fixed this yet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yay!   Solved!   I have a HP Envy touchscreen.  It originally came with win 8.1 and some bundled software, which included Youcam 6, the software to use the built in HP Truevision webcam.  I upgraded to win10 no problems.  Then I started having problems with my start menu  and all the programs there not working.  I could right click on a few of them, but to just click on them to open them did nothing.  I put up with it for a little while and then got frustrated enough to reinstall windows.  I think I did the in place upgrade, or refresh- the one that starts windows like new and saves everything you had in the Windows.Old folder.   When I did this, all my bundled software was removed, including Youcam.   A few weeks later my start menu quit working again and I had to do the win10 reinstall again.  I dont remember which option I did the install with the second time, but my win.old folder was now gone, along with all my self installed programs.  Now the webcam no longer worked.  I downloaded a different version of Youcam - my bundled software version was not free to download, and I was not about to pay for something that had originally came with my computer for free, and I had no idea what i could do or who to call to not have to pay to get it again.  I think it was Youcam 2.   It was unable to capture images.  The little light next to the camera indicating it was on worked, so I was pretty sure it wasn't a hardware issue.  When I looked in the settings I coulkd see that it was using the HP Truevision webcam.  It just wasn't working.  I tried doing updates, from both Win10 and Cyberlink.  I uninstalled the webcam, reinstalled it, tried rolling back the driver, all that jazz. That didn't fix it.  I looked on the forums and found other people had similar problems but I saw none that had remidied it.  Something about the bundled version of Youcam seems to be vital to the webcam working at all.   I scoured my hard drive and discovered in my Program Files (x86), my Cyberlink folder still had a Youcam6 folder.  And the program .exe!   I ran it......and it did the same "unable to capture" error.    I think that's when I first posted in the forums here.  I was frustrated and didn't bother with it anymore until yesterday.  I decided to try once more.   I ran Youcam6 (had to go back into Progran Files (x86) to do it but I made a shortcut this time).  Same error.  I went into device manager and uninstalled the Hp Truevision webcam.  Ran Youcam again, no camera detected.  With Youcam still on I went back to the device manager and searched for new devices and immediately went back to the Youcam window and now it said "we have detected you have Hp truevision webcam, would you like to use this device?"  I clicked ok, the image capture box flashed different colors for a second, and then was filled with the image of myself and the room behind me.  It worked!   Just in time, too.   My next idea was to see if drop kicking it would help.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @ohevilme,

Welcome to HP Forums! I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that the webcam driver is missing after upgrading to Windows 10. In order to better assist you, can you provide the product number of the laptop? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

Looking forward to your reply!

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Yay!   Solved!   I have a HP Envy touchscreen.  It originally came with win 8.1 and some bundled software, which included Youcam 6, the software to use the built in HP Truevision webcam.  I upgraded to win10 no problems.  Then I started having problems with my start menu  and all the programs there not working.  I could right click on a few of them, but to just click on them to open them did nothing.  I put up with it for a little while and then got frustrated enough to reinstall windows.  I think I did the in place upgrade, or refresh- the one that starts windows like new and saves everything you had in the Windows.Old folder.   When I did this, all my bundled software was removed, including Youcam.   A few weeks later my start menu quit working again and I had to do the win10 reinstall again.  I dont remember which option I did the install with the second time, but my win.old folder was now gone, along with all my self installed programs.  Now the webcam no longer worked.  I downloaded a different version of Youcam - my bundled software version was not free to download, and I was not about to pay for something that had originally came with my computer for free, and I had no idea what i could do or who to call to not have to pay to get it again.  I think it was Youcam 2.   It was unable to capture images.  The little light next to the camera indicating it was on worked, so I was pretty sure it wasn't a hardware issue.  When I looked in the settings I coulkd see that it was using the HP Truevision webcam.  It just wasn't working.  I tried doing updates, from both Win10 and Cyberlink.  I uninstalled the webcam, reinstalled it, tried rolling back the driver, all that jazz. That didn't fix it.  I looked on the forums and found other people had similar problems but I saw none that had remidied it.  Something about the bundled version of Youcam seems to be vital to the webcam working at all.   I scoured my hard drive and discovered in my Program Files (x86), my Cyberlink folder still had a Youcam6 folder.  And the program .exe!   I ran it......and it did the same "unable to capture" error.    I think that's when I first posted in the forums here.  I was frustrated and didn't bother with it anymore until yesterday.  I decided to try once more.   I ran Youcam6 (had to go back into Progran Files (x86) to do it but I made a shortcut this time).  Same error.  I went into device manager and uninstalled the Hp Truevision webcam.  Ran Youcam again, no camera detected.  With Youcam still on I went back to the device manager and searched for new devices and immediately went back to the Youcam window and now it said "we have detected you have Hp truevision webcam, would you like to use this device?"  I clicked ok, the image capture box flashed different colors for a second, and then was filled with the image of myself and the room behind me.  It worked!   Just in time, too.   My next idea was to see if drop kicking it would help.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.