Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook 17-f113dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Today, i can not connect to the internet with wired network so i try to solve problem but i can't. I noticed that there is amber light at wired ethernet port when i powered on the laptop.

I plugged in and out the cable, there was still amber light not the white light.

There are no wired network adapter shows in device manager as well.

Yesterday, I was downloading a little file on the internet while it's ranning hard and there were thunders and lights. Suddenly the electricity was off. After that the problem occurred.

My wired ethernet adapter was breaked ? if so, Could you suggest me which type of wired ethernet adater that to replace ?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@0xaddr, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned due to thunder and lightning the modem failed.

It looks like the ethernet card on your PC has gone faulty due to thunder and lightning.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @0xaddr, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you see an amber light next to ethernet port without out the ethernet cable connected to your laptop.

Don't worry I'm here to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with a different ethernet cable?

Try updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Link to update the BIOS.

Also, try uninstalling the ehternet drivers from device manager and install the drivers from HP recovery manager.

In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.
Press and hold (or right-click) the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.
After uninstalling the driver, select the Start button > Power  > Restart.

Refer this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

Also, Refer this article to further troubleshoot ethernet connection issues.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with your PC.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, @MrRobot

Thanks for your reply.

Q: "Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?"

A:  Perhaps after i update cumulative  windows  update ? i don't know whether it is reason.

Q:  Have you tried checking with a different ethernet cable?

A: My cable is ok.

I can't reinstall wired newtwork device driver because it's disappear in device manager. Before it has.

My internet modem died because thunder and lightning, so i think it also destroyed my wired networkcard/port/chip ? Do you think so ?

Is it normal when it has amber light next to wired ethernet port without cable connected to my laptop?

Is there anyway to check if my wired network card is ok or died ?

If it died, could it be repair/replace with new one ? How much ?

HP Recommended

@0xaddr, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned due to thunder and lightning the modem failed.

It looks like the ethernet card on your PC has gone faulty due to thunder and lightning.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.