Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP-Envy 13-d004nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The release of new laptops WITHOUT AC wifi should be forbidden!!!!!

On an Envy 13 the wifi is really crappy! Every 4GB transferred the connection drops. My old lattitude Dell was able to have AC norm and no connection drop outs. Even my 16 years old crappy Dimension Dell 8100 with 2200 days of continuous running has less dropouts and a better transmission that this device!

Sorry but nowadays when a modern device pop out from the assembly line ethernet less it should be MANDATORY to have a descent AC wifi otherwise that said device is considered as a dust trap going to the trash!

Is there any way to upgrade the crappy wifi onboard wifi card? Because I had to purchase a Netgear dongle in order to have descent connection. I went from a **bleep**ty 6Mo/s with connection dropouts to a 33Mo/s. For me it's a kind of rip off! And on new devices MIMO should olso MANDATORY!

If I were binary this device is a no go device and should be terminated to the trash!

An M2 SSD with state of the art video card, great sound, a good battery life with such a crappy wifi card it's like having a Ferrari and mounting Kia Picanto tires!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

See p. 31 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2×2 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 793840-005

https://www.amazon.com/HP-793840-005-Wireless-module-7265NV/dp/B0111JECLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=146...

Amazon is a little pricey. Here it is much cheaper on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HP-ENVY-M7-N-M7-N011DX-WIFI-WIRELESS-CARD-793840-005-/152104779047?h...

So there are 2 options; a Broadcom which is not a good piece of hardware and the Intel AC 7265 which is one of the better cards on the market. I am generally sympathetic to your comments and do not understand why laptop manufacturers save a few pennies by putting weak cheap wireless cards in otherwise good computers. However, I know I do not want to live in a world where somebody dictates the content of manufactured products. I prefer a world or a country where there is freedom of choice. You can always do some investigation and figure out what you are getting before you buy. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

See p. 31 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2×2 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 793840-005

https://www.amazon.com/HP-793840-005-Wireless-module-7265NV/dp/B0111JECLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=146...

Amazon is a little pricey. Here it is much cheaper on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HP-ENVY-M7-N-M7-N011DX-WIFI-WIRELESS-CARD-793840-005-/152104779047?h...

So there are 2 options; a Broadcom which is not a good piece of hardware and the Intel AC 7265 which is one of the better cards on the market. I am generally sympathetic to your comments and do not understand why laptop manufacturers save a few pennies by putting weak cheap wireless cards in otherwise good computers. However, I know I do not want to live in a world where somebody dictates the content of manufactured products. I prefer a world or a country where there is freedom of choice. You can always do some investigation and figure out what you are getting before you buy. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

The main issue here is why wasn't it present on the first place?

HP Recommended

There are many things that were not present in it. Why does my car not have a high-end navigation system? Maybe they should not be allowed to sell cars without them. As a consumer, there is some responsibility to understand what you are buying. The specs are available. Or do you just want to be the victim?

HP Recommended

I accept the responsability but BGN tech is legacy tech, and HP should have implemented AC tech 4 years ago as a standard!

But with the market segment of that device it should have been in it on the first place!

HP Recommended

shouda couda woulda, who is to say? Not you or me. 

HP Recommended

But anyway thanks for the tips to improve the wifi!

But the main issue still exists!

HP Recommended

And it will until you upgrade it and exercise some self-help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.