Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I got an HP laptop a while ago but ever since taking it out of the box it won't stay connected to the wifi for more than a couple minutes. I've tried everything I could find (restarting the router, changing VPN settings, flushing dns, power management tab which my computer doesn't have like the website said?) It's a brand new laptop and it was pretty expensive. Any ideas on what's wrong?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @drakegho,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

It's frustrating when a new laptop has trouble staying connected to Wi-Fi. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

Update Wi-Fi Drivers:

• Go to the HP support website for your specific laptop model.
  • Download and install the latest Wi-Fi drivers for your laptop.
  • Restart your laptop after installing the drivers.

Reset Network Settings:

• Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Status.
  • Under "Advanced network settings," select "Network reset."
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your network settings.
  • Restart your laptop after the reset.

Update Windows:

• Make sure your Windows operating system is up to date.
  • Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
  • Check for updates and install any available updates.
  • Restart your laptop after installing the updates.

Check Power Management Settings:

• Go to Device Manager (right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager).
  • Expand the "Network adapters" section.
  • Right-click on your Wi-Fi adapter and select "Properties."
  • Go to the "Power Management" tab and uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
  • Click "OK" and restart your laptop.

Check Router Settings:

• Ensure your router firmware is up to date.
  • Try changing the Wi-Fi channel on your router to see if it improves the connection stability.
  • Check if other devices are experiencing similar issues when connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

Contact Support:

• If the issue persists, it's best to contact HP support or the retailer where you purchased the laptop, as it could be a hardware issue that needs further investigation or a possible replacement.

These steps should help resolve the Wi-Fi connectivity issue on your new HP laptop. 

If you continue to experience problems, it's best to reach out to HP support for further assistance.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.