Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 17 (255 Views)

HP 2000 2b19WM Atheros wireless issues

Product Name: HP 2000 2b19WM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So this 2000 had an HDD replaced by me. I decrypted the BIOS to get the product key and first installed 8 which it came with and while 8/64 worked fine I dislike 8 even with Classic Shell so  then installed 7/64 which I prefer, not much of a processor in this thing and an upgrade to 8 gigs of memory its still lackluster. With both 8 and 7 no f12 wi-fi light but wireless worked but on/off and intermittant with disconnecting and reconnecting with both OS. 

Atheros AR5B125 Wi-Fi  Card : edge card connector cleaned and reseated, antenna connected 

Some facts:

BIOS ver F.47

Action keys enabled

OS working fine

perf mon shows CPU  less than 5-10% when idle

Internet always fine by wired card

All other wireless devices on the network trouble free : Roku, Android phone and tablet another laptop (Acer) running 7

Frontier DSL network running 802.11n 

of many  visible networks a few strong enough to try to connect to with strongest also running 802.11n some other networks may not be visible

Got drivers for my model/OS from HP it is Atheros A9485 802.11b/g/n

Tried other drivers  same result

When acting up even the modem IP unreachable

Signal strength always excellent

So I am open to about anything replacing the card, changing net from 2.4 to 5 or just getting a different card . I've seen warnngs about avoiding certain BIOS versions or updates so I suspect issues there. Seems oddcthe f12 wi-fi light inop not lit any color.

Thanks in advance

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 17 (220 Views)

Re: HP 2000 2b19WM Atheros wireless issues

[ Edited ]

Hi @electroid,

Good Day! Thank you for posting in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance regarding Wi-Fi connectivity issues which is intermittent. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you with this. Smiley Happy

Stupendous diagnosis and troubleshooting. Spectacular analysis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy customers like you. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. We greatly appreciate you for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you check for any interferences of electronic appliances or devices between the router and the computer?
  • Did you power cycle the router?

For now, please try all the prescribed steps from this link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Common-fixes-for-wireless-connectivity...

Please update the bios, chipset and Wi-Fi drivers from http://hp.com/drivers if not done already and if it is available. Then check if this does the trick for you.

If it does not then a viable cost-effective workaround is to get a USB Wi-Fi dongle and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer and then connect to the Wi-Fi router. You should be able to order one for a song. It is cost effective as well. That should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

Davidsmp
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 3 of 17 (180 Views)

I just did the netsh commands in DOS and it seems both fine with no dropping out as well as quicker via wireless.  After a few days if nothing bad reappears I will come back and check answered and sing your praises. Thank you!

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 17 (171 Views)

Hi @electroid,

I reviewed the post. I thank you for your super quick reply.   I thank you greatly for your response. Please check for a few days and take your time about it. Smiley Happy

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. Smiley Happy You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. Smiley Happy I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

Davidsmp
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 5 of 17 (164 Views)

Well sadly the good news was short lived. I moved that 2000 to another room and it Hagan to drop. Ironically I also had this tablet and no problem with Wi-Fi. I say ironically because it used to be the other way around where the tablet wouldn't work on a different Wi-Fi and the 2000 did. Something else odd going on here.

Two more questions: if I get you the 2000's serial number can you tell me if the original Windows 8   was 32 or 64 bit and the exact version home etc? The other question is you can't tell from my BIOS version listed in my OP if it was already updated?

Thanks in advance. We will get it!

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 17 (164 Views)

Hi @electroid,

I read your quick response. Thanks for the response. Great effort, resolve and persistence to try and get the issue fixed. Hats off for a job superbly done. Smiley Happy

To answer your first question about the version of windows installed on the computer, it is windows 8.1 64 bit.

Please check the product specifications link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-2000-Notebook-PC-series/5296210/model/5360117/document/c03619...

To answer question 2 yes you have the latest bios version F.47 which is the same as the one listed on the HP support site. Link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-2000-Notebook-PC-series/5296210/model/5360117 Do not download or install it again. This is for your reference.

I suspect the wireless adapter is faulty and needs to be replaced.  A fabulous workaround would be is to buy a USB Wi-Fi dongle and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer. Then connect it to the Wi-Fi router to go online.  This is a cost effective and economical solution. You could order one from eBay or Amazon for a song. You could also contact your local Best Buy or Staples store for doing it.

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. :) Trust me I’ve done all I can here by keeping your best interest in mind. A lot of time effort and research went into it and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead.

Davidsmp
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 7 of 17 (137 Views)

Sorry for the delay was in hospital for tests. I DBAN'd the HDD and out 8 back on. I thought it odd I had to use lagacy mode to boot,UEFI would not work with 8. Hot keys or whatever they call them now work. The weird thing with this PC is it is pretty easy to go from almost no CPU use to almost 100 percent just with a single app running (the browser) and yet of the 8 gigs of memory installed (7.6 available) the thing never even uses 2 gig, ever! Why? I have tons of free space and gave VM 20000 up from default of 4004. Can't figure that one out. So stable, never crashes, once a page caches cpu quickly goes back below 5-10 percent. The UEFI thing has me baffled. The sticker on the PC says 8 so I put on 8/64 not 8.1 thanks with persistence we will get this.

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 17 (126 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @electroid,

I reviewed the post. I hope you are doing well. Smiley Happy If the CPU usage is high I would require you to first run complete system diagnostics from this link to eliminate all possible hardware issues from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259 Please run complete system diagnostics. Once we confirm that the diagnostics pass and there is nothing wrong with the computer. Please run the complete system tests including the extended diagnostics.

Then please visit this link for further assistance as it gives you information on resolving High CPU usage. It is relevant for your operating system also, even though it is windows 7. This is given by an expert which is an accepted solution on HP forums. High CPU usage link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/High-CPU-and-Disk-Usage-slowing-...

If you've installed a retail version of windows 8, I would request you to contact HP phone support to order the correct recovery media for your computer. Product specs link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-2000-2b00-Notebook-PC-series/5296210/model/5360117/document/c... The specs sheet says the computer came installed with Windows 8.

Please make sure that the computer diagnostics are run before ordering recovery media. Please make a note of any failure code. Also, Please do not click on any link, ad, image, or video as the expert has suggested third party links for high CPU usage. Just follow the steps and the screenshots. Do not click on anything on those websites.  Steps to contact Hp phone support to order recovery media:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. :) Trust me I’ve done all I can here by keeping your best interest in mind. A lot of time effort and research went into it and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

Davidsmp
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 9 of 17 (111 Views)

Thanks as always. Ran all those already , NP. I will just video the thing in use with task manager open as I do certain things so you can wqtch the CPU go to 100%  for things it shouldnt while memoery used NEVER changes. Disk quickly changes. I guess this CPU iis just a dog. When I get my new tablet will video the PC in action, post it on YT and post a link.

Thanks!

HP Support Agent
Message 10 of 17 (108 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @electroid,

I thank you for your super quick reply. Great job and magnificent effort to troubleshoot the issue. Smiley Happy The CPU may be processing a lot of information in the background that is causing this. I would suggest that you please run a recovery to factory settings and disable windows updates and check again.

I presume you've tried all the steps in the documents that I sent you. If you have then please perform the above step of disabling windows updates after a recovery and run with minimal software applications. Do not install anything else. Then check if the CPU usage is high. Please keep me posted.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

Davidsmp
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation