Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-ac114nx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new HP laptop 15-ac114nx [Intel Core i3 @ 2.00GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD] running Windows 10 64 bit has a serious wifi problem. Ever since I have bought the laptop Wifi internet speeds seem to be comparitively very slow on battery than when plugged in. I have a 20 Mbps connection which provides a reasonable browsing and download speed on all my other devices. The issue with this laptop is that when running on battery and connected using wifi even opening a webpage such as facebook or youtube takes an awfully lot of time lets say like 5 to 10 seconds and sometimes much more, whereas if I do the same with the power cord plugged in, the web pages appear as soon as I click their links(i.e. Vey Fast/Instantaneously). 

To add further clarity to the situation I tested the download speed of a particular file while running on battery and with the cord plugged in. I started the download of a file [Java Development Kit ~ 160MB] using chrome with the cord plugged in and navigated to the chrome downloads page to monitor the download progress. The download speed was about 1000-1200 Kbps. Midway through the download I removed the power cord. Immediately the speeds dropped down to 20-30Kbps and sometimes even much lower.  After approximately 10 seconds I plugged the cord back in and wow the download speed went back up to approx a 1000 Kbps. After sometime I removed the cord again and as a result the speed dropped down again. Plugged the cord again and it rose back up. NOw this can't be coincidence since I have tried this with multiple files from multiple servers and am experiencing the same behaviour.

THe list of things dome so far but have had no results. THe problem persists.

Number One

1. Open DEVICE MANAGER
2. Open up NETWORK ADAPTERS
3. Right click on the WiFi Adapter for the pc and left click on PROPERTIES
4. Click on POWER MANAGEMENT at the top.
5. Remove the check mark beside : ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER

6.Click OK

7. Left click on Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and select Properties.

8.Click on POWER MANAGEMENT at the top.
9. Remove the check mark beside : ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER

10. Click OK

11. Restart just to be extra sure.

Number Two.

Flushed the DNS

Restart

Number Three

reset the TCP/IP stack.

Restart

Number Four

Uninstalled the WIfi driver and reinstalled it from the HP website

Number Five

Updated Windows 10, My windows ten is on the latest build with all the updates installed.

Number Six

Left CLicking on the start button and selecting power options -> Next i clicked "Change Plan Settings" next to the currently selected power plan which was High Performance and clicked "Change Advanced Power Settings".

Next Under Wireless Adapter Settings-Power Saving Mode was set to Maximum Performance both on Battery and Plugged in.

Note: The above point was tried and tested on all power plans [i.e. Hp recommended, Power Saving and unbundle].

Here is some info about my wireless adapter.

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn WIfi Adapter.

THere has  been no imporvement whatsoever even after trying all these actions multiple time. Will be really glad if someone could help. What is the point of having a portable computer if I have to keep it plugged in for using the internet ? Even just web browsing is slow and unsatisfactory on the battery. Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Kzzafar,

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. It is a great place to get your questions answered by experts.I saw your post regarding  problems with slow speeds when you are using the battery. That is a very odd issue and you have been incredibly thorough in your troubleshooting. Hats off trying out all these copious troubleshooting steps.

There are only 2 suggestions to make here.

1. Please try the notebook on a different Wi-Fi network like a hotspot or at a library, without the charger plugged in.
  2. Try using a different battery if you could get hold of one. If it works with a different battery then the battery needs to be checked.

If none of these work, then at this point I really have nothing to add to what you have already done. I would recommend that you contact HP. You can reach HP Phone support by visiting this link: http://hp.com/contacthp

Please let me know how this goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to appreciate my efforts. If this resolves the issue, Please mark this as “Accepted Solution”.

Thanks and have a terrific week ahead

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.