Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

so i just upgraded my router from  VM, but my laptop won't connect wirelessly to the internet unless I switch on/off the router each time I want to connect! 😞

the VM router connects to my phone, tablet and my ps4 with no problems at all, I only have this problem with my laptop.

both my parents have Acer laptops but they don't have this problem, so I really think the problem is from my HP laptop!

Yes everything is up to date whether it's windows or the drivers and I always check if there's any updates needs to be downloaded.

I changed the password of the router and that fixed it temporary and then went back again.

I also used HP Support assistant to help me find the problem but it says the security type don'tmatch and the error number is (999)

do you have any suggestions?

pls reply asap

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @TahaniM,

Welcome to HP Forums! 

I have read your post and wanted to help. I understand that you need to restart the router every time when you try to connect your Pavilion laptop to WiFi after you changed the router.

Please follow the setps on the link of HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)

Let me know any of the steps helps.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I already tried all of these so many times! and stated this in my comment above

HP Recommended

Hi @TahaniM,

Have you tried the Microsoft restore or system recovery?  Those did not work either?

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

no it didn't work unfortunately 😞

HP Recommended

Hi @ThaniM,

Sicne the troubleshooter gave you error of 999: Security type does not match, you can try the following:

Right-click your network and then select Properties. See the settings under the security tab. Change them to match your network type. If your router’s security is set to WPA-Personal, make sure your security type is set to match. If your encryption is set to AES, try changing it to TKIP. Lastly, make sure your network security key (network password) is typed in correctly.

Options 2: remove the network from under the Manage Wireless Networks option located in the Network and Sharing Center of the Control Panel. Once you remove the network, you can click on the Change Adapter Settings in the left side menu of the Network and Sharing Center. Right-click the wireless adapter and then click the Connect / Disconnect option. You should see your router or access point listed. Click “Connect” and then type in the password for your network.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did changed the security type and i couldn't connect to the network at all, so i deleted the network (forget network) and tried again still no luck!

please help my laptop is wired next to the router right now and I'm struglling 😞 

HP Recommended

Hi @TahaniM,

You may contact HP support or local repair store to arrange a physical check.

To contact HP support, use the following link http://www.hp.com/contacthp to create a case for your issue, and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html to get the contact information for your region.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

it turns out its from the hub it self, i changed it after big hussel with VM and everything went back to normal!

i hope this will help ppl who is facing the same problem!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.