Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

hey guys

my wireless isn't working and the button that turns it on is always red no matter how many times i press it

pleas can anyone help

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

You have a couple of options as I see it please try these steps might help you to fix your issue.

1) Disconnect the Battery & Adapter then press & hold the power button on Notebook for 30 seconds then turn on the unit and check if the Wireless light turns on.

2) Go to Device manager then uninstall the wireless drivers from Network Adapter and restart the unit and check if the light turns on.

3) Try doing a system restore to the date where unit was working fine.

4) Please update the Bios & Wireless driver from HP website.

5) Click start in search type Recovery Manager then click on it select Yes on User access control then select I need immediate help then select Driver & application recovery select the wireless driver and install it then restart the unit.

6) If you are comfortable reseating the wireless card which will be on the back panel off your unit you could try this steps as well.

If still you have the same issue then you need to call HP Technical support and get the part replaced.

Solve Setup and Internet Connection Issues on a Wireless Network with Windows

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

thanks alot for all these solutions

but sadly it didn't work because i formated my laptop and the recovery portion was damaged so i had to buy a windows 7 cd to download it but without the drivers of course, so i downloaded all the drivers available on the hp website and they all worked fine except for the wireless device

HP Recommended

Hi

Have you reseated the Wireless card on the unit. Incase even after this you have the same issue please call HP Technical support check your warranty details and get the card replaced.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Go to the control panel.  Hardware and Sound.  Device manager. go to network adapters, right click on wireless adapter,

choose properties, click on driver and "roll back the driver". 

This fix worked for me and saved me from doing a total recovery.

HP Pavilion dv6  VX420AV

HP Recommended

Hi there, I have a HP laptop on  which the wifi switch is not working at all! The wireless adapter still shows up in network devices, surely there is a software method to turn on wifi without needing the touch switch?

HP Recommended

Hi PavPev,

There are a couple of options that are available to you. The first is if you go into the Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Network Adapter -> Right click on your adapter -> Properties -> Driver Tab, you should see an option to Disable/Enable the adapter.

The other option that is available is to restore, and then update the BIOS. I have included the documents 'Restoring the BIOS', and 'Updating the BIOS'.

If these steps do fail to resolve the issue, please inform me of the troubleshooting steps that you have already done. Also the full model number of your computer Find product and serial numbers for HP PCs, printers, and accessories | HP® Support, if it is not the dv6-1390ev. As well the version of Windows that you are running Which version of Windows operating system am I running? - Microsoft Support.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Yay (to Mr-Microchips solution)  thanks that worked for me.. I have been searching for an answer for weeks to this problem ..Very simple solution and just had to reboot for it to take effect.. 

Thanks Mr-Microchip

@Mr_Microchip wrote:

Go to the control panel.  Hardware and Sound.  Device manager. go to network adapters, right click on wireless adapter,

choose properties, click on driver and "roll back the driver". 

This fix worked for me and saved me from doing a total recovery.

HP Pavilion dv6  VX420AV

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.