Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
probook 4540s Product ID C9K7O
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I had to install Windows 7 Premium 64bit operating system and the network controller was not recognised and consequently, the drivers were not installed. This is what I see in the device manager:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1838103C&REV_01
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1838103C
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&CC_0280

I did receive a driver to download from tech support, but that one did not recognise the controller either. Referrence case# (removed content)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Please try what REO51ST wrote.

Zincas
I am an HP notebook/printer technician.
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

The download worked, I now see the network controller in the device manager. However, I still can't connect to the internet and my WiFi won't work. There are a few other devices that show up in device manager that are not recognised (yellow exclaimations). One of them is called PCI simple communications controller. Could this be my problem now for not connecting to the internet or having WiFi?

The other devices listed are:

Base System Device listed twice.

Unknown device listed twice.

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

I forgot to include the following in my previous post:

PCI Simple communications controller

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&SUBSYS_17F6103C&REV_04
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&SUBSYS_17F6103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&CC_0780
HP Recommended

Thanks REO51ST, that did the trick. As soon as I connected, I go tthe invite to upgrade to Windows 10. LOL

HP Recommended

Papa

Good to hear that everything is working.

W10 could work for you if you do choose to upgrade.

You do have W10 drivers available.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5229456&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

REO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.