Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a new HP Pavilion slender laptop.

For a few weeks every so often my internet would freeze displaying 'Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working', but then everything would continue as usual.

Now, I have full internet reception and have tried to use it in several locations with wi-fi and the only thing that will pop-up on the screen is "The Proxy Server Isn't Responding".

The instructions say 'Go to 'Tools' and then to check LAN settings. The only tools listed with Windows 8 are Administrative Tools and none of them have LAN or internet settings listed beneath them. When I tried to call customer service to walk me through the issue, they wanted $100.00 and the man on the phone had no idea what the menu looked like or the softwares used for internet access (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc . . .). This was using HP's HOTLINE!!! After I expressed concern that an employee didn't know about either the menu or the type of browser I was using he offered to transfer me to a technician for $89.00.

HP, either you are committed to helping your customers solve their problems with competent employees and this was a snafu, or you have a lot to answer for as a company with loyal users like myself. This was downright insulting and I still need this problem fixed!

Is there anyone who knows what Windows 8 looks like and how to resolve this problem on this forum?!

"If I could stop one heart from breaking, I shall not have lived in vain."- Emily Dickinson
21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi PoetPC11,

Welcome to the HP Forums! :generic:  I understand that you are getting an error message "The Proxy Server Isn't Responding". I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.  When you get the proxy error, stay on that page and follow these instructions.

1. Click the Gearbox at the top right corner in Internet Explorer.

2. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.

4. Uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN box.

5. Click Ok.

I hope this information helps, please let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I have tried this, but it keeps reverting to the previous setting. This issue just started yesterday. I have run my Norton and cleaned up everything. I even ran a system restore back to 6/30/14. I don't know what else to do. Please help. My daughter , in England, just had a baby and the internet is how we stay in touch.

HP Recommended

This did not work for me. The setting reverts to the previous setting.

HP Recommended

Hi GeriH,

I suggest following the steps in this document by Microsoft, for How to configure proxy server settings in Windows 8.

Keep me posted on how it goes.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

I have tried the solutions provided and still this did not fix the issue.  I did not start having problems with the proxy server settings until i installed java script and internet download manager 2 and uninstalled them due to the lag they created on my laptop.   The only reason I installedthe 2 applications was that my Netflixcould ot find a connection even though I was able to connect to the internet without a problem.  But now nothing is working right. 

Would you be able to assist me?

HP Recommended

Hi jaisze1980,

I am sorry to hear that the steps did not resolve your issue.

I suggest Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 7), to restore your notebook back to a time before you started to have the issue.

Once you have it restored, if you are still having issues connecting to Neflix I suggest contacting the Netflix Help Center to get help for connecting.

I hope this helps, please let me know how it goes.

Thank you and have a great day!

HP Recommended
Hi this method worked for me but after following instructions I restarted laptop and it's worked fine. Thank you for your advise.
HP Recommended
I did everything you said and it didn't worked.
I uncheck the (use a proxy server for your LAN)
AND THEN I CLICKED OK restart the computer and still the same..i go back to the process and the proxy icon is checked agai. 😞
HP Recommended

I have tried all the suggestions regarding the Proxy Server and I still can not get internet access.  Just like the other users I too started seeing a slowing and disconnecting of the internet including Netflix.  Now all communication to wireless is not working.

I followed all your advice to others such as removing the proxy server for my LAL and also went back to multiple restore points to before I was having the issue.   I also bought a new modem, visited my cable provider and tested all other computers at my house.  My iPads and other computers connect fine.  I wanted to verify if it was my HP and not my cable so I have brought it to another place to try their wireless and the same message occurs.  

I am on a Windows 8 so the advise you gave the person on Windows 7 does not apply.  I just bought this notebook and am very disappointed so I hope you can help.   

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.