Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook x360 1030 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have over a dozen different HP laptops and this is the first time I am running into this issue. I run through my normal build and deployment process. I download the SCCM driver pack for the model from HP, import into MDT, image the system.

This time, though, there is no network device found. I use the usb-c to rj45 adapter. I boot to the server fine, I image with our OS fine, all the drivers load but once the OS loads for the first time it appears that the adapter is completely dead. No lights at all, no LAN adapter showing in device manager, no IP, no missing devices that are network card related.

Is there some kind of new process that needs to be followed to get this to work?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I suggest you to check the document below.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=14169372&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c0...

Also, try to see if the correct network driver is loaded.

Also, you would need to load the USB C and Ethernet driver

Link:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=15510048&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but these links aren't going to help.

I know where to download drivers from, and how to run a silent driver install. I've built images for roughly 50 different models over the years on 5 different OS's, so I've been through the process quite a bit. I have the drivers for USB and for the adapter in the image already. If I manually run the install it still does not give me any network connectivity and I don't see a device in device manager.

I looked in the BIOS for settings that may be the cause but didn't find anything, but I did enable LAN/WAN switching since the wireless card was active. That did not help. I also disabled wireless after enabling switching, same results.

As a test I went into the bios and checked for updates via network and it told me that no adapter was present, even though it was, and I had just loaded our corporate image on the system via that same adapter.

HP Recommended

We are also having this same issue. We've deployed all kinds of HP models for years and this is the first one I've had the problem on (that I haven't been able to resolve by injecting drivers). I'm trying to drill through every possible BIOS setting combination as well, but no luck so far.

HP Recommended

Update: no combo of BIOS settings helps. I did get the adapter to show an IP after reboot properly by downloading and injecting the RTL8153 driver directly from Realtek (the Broadcom Ethernet adapter on the downloads page for this model is incorrect), but even then the computer does not join the domain properly.

Does HP actually test driver packs with SCCM, or just package them?

HP Recommended

Probably just packages them. They obviously just bake everything into their factory images. I'll give the same thing a try and see what happens. I find it odd that I don't even see an unknown device in device manager.

HP Recommended

Figured I'd give you an update. Went through the same thing, the task sequence kicks back an error saying it could not reconnect to the deployment share. If I manually install the realtek drivers at that point, nothing happens. I see no device in device manager under network adapters or unknown devices even though the installer said successful.

I then disconnecter the adapter and plugged in another usb-c to rj45 and immediately got lights on the adapter and when I clicked "retry" it went through with the rest of the task sequence. The problem is, it should be able to re-connect since I have the drivers injected into the image. It's not making a whole lot of sense and it's the first time I've run into this.

HP Recommended

At the point that it fails, it appears that the system does not recognize the device at all. This, for me, is right at the auto-login, when it tries to reconnect to the deployment share to continue the actions. If I simply disconnect the nic, then reconnect it 2 seconds later, the device is recognized and I can click "retry" to continue through the deployment successfully.

Luckily, I could work around this, but I use nic adapters for several models and this is the first time I've seen this issue. We shouldn't have to manually disconnect and re-connect a piece of hardware for it to function. A workaround will not be successful for companies if the join domain is failing. I, luckily, have moved mine out of the customsettings.ini and run it via a powershell script as the last custom task. So right now this workaround will do. HP and Microsoft should be able to come up with a resolution for this, who out of the 2, I am not sure.

HP Recommended

Oh, I missed that you were using MDT instead of SCCM, so my Realtek advice may not apply. Just to chime in, there is no retry button in SCCM, so we're dead in the water as far as rolling this model out in our company. I have a case open on this as well, but no progress.

Internal security policies do not allow us to roll out computers without our customized image on them, so we can't really deploy this model until some resolution is found.

HP Recommended

Let me know if they come up with a solution. I have the workarounds, but it really should work as all the others do. I will be opening a ticket with HP as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.