Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-2264sd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys,

Recently i bought a new router which supports 5Ghz to increase my internet speed. Unfortunately, my HP Pavilion g6-2274sd laptop only supports 2,4Ghz. Is there a way to replace my network adaptor so i'm able to connect to 5Ghz?

My laptop uses the Ralink RT3290 8011.11b/g/n

I already checked the service manual for compatible devices, unfortunately none supports 5Ghz:

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Ralink RT3290 Wi-Fi adapter is a single band (2.4 GHz only) wifi card.

Hint:  Anytime you see a wifi N adapter with a suffix of b/g/n, it is a single band card.

Dual band cards have a suffix ending in a/b/g/n or a/g/n.

You are correct...HP does not offer any dual band cards for your notebook, and if you try to install one, the BIOS will reject the card, and halt on boot until the unsupported wlan card is removed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If your Windows-based computer has an 802.11a or 802.11n wireless network adapter, then it is compatible with a 5 GHz network band.  This article will show you how to check if the wireless adapter of your Windows computer has the 5 GHz network band capability.  

Windows 8 and higher OS

IMPORTANT:  The Linksys AE3000 wireless network adapter is used for this example.

Windows 8 and higher OS

Step 1:
Press the Windows  key on your keyboard to access the Start screen.  

Step 2:
Type “cmd” or "Command Prompt" until the search result appears under the Apps list.  Select Command Prompt to open the application.

QUICKTIP:  Alternatively, for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, you can right-click on the Start  button and select Command Prompt.  For touch-enabled computers, swipe from the right side of the screen to reveal the Charms bar with the system commands.

NOTE:  The Search section will automatically appear once you type in any character from your keyboard.

Step 3:
On the Command Prompt window, enter “netsh wlan show drivers” then press [Enter].

Step 4:
Look for the Radio types supported section.  If it says that the network adapter supports 802.11a or 802.11n network modes, this means that the computer that you are using has the 5 GHz network capability.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply!

As you see in the picture it does have 802.11n. Unfortunatly my notebook doesn't recognize 5Ghz networks. I'm pretty sure my router settings are setup correctly, as my smartphone is connected with 5Ghz.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The Ralink RT3290 Wi-Fi adapter is a single band (2.4 GHz only) wifi card.

Hint:  Anytime you see a wifi N adapter with a suffix of b/g/n, it is a single band card.

Dual band cards have a suffix ending in a/b/g/n or a/g/n.

You are correct...HP does not offer any dual band cards for your notebook, and if you try to install one, the BIOS will reject the card, and halt on boot until the unsupported wlan card is removed.

HP Recommended

Conclusion: There is no way to connect my notebook with my 5Ghz network? 😞

HP Recommended

Unfortunately not with an internal wlan card.

I guess if you have one lying around you can test, I suppose you have nothing to lose by giving it a try, but I wouldn't go out and buy one.

You can always get a USB dual band wifi adapter.

Some of them are pretty small nowadays, and don't stick out too far from the usb port.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Wireless-Adapter-Supports-Windows/dp/B00XV4EERC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electron...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.