Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Laptop PC 15-e3000 (4X377AV)

My laptop is 6 months old and recently will not charge past 9%.  The HP Support diagnostic advised to get a new batteray ASAP.  All under warranty.  HOWEVER, I've been advised that the only remedy is to wait for a courier to collect my laptop, take it interstate, then fix it and return it.  On what planet is this acceptable? I run my entire business and our entire livelihood from this device.  Is it unreasonable to expect, given the persistent bluetooth issue and broken battery, that HP simply send a new device and I can send the broken one?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @ShayeT,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

I understand that you are facing issues with your battery.

Have you run the battery test? If yes, did you get any warnings or failure codes?

if not done, I recommend one. 

HP Battery Check provides a simple but accurate test of the battery for notebooks and provides advanced information on the state of the battery and any maintenance action that may be required. Click here

You may also refer to this document for testing the battery. 

If you have performed all the above-mentioned steps and still having issues, then this unit needs service. 

For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I have since had the battery replaced by a certified HP rep.

Now the issue is happening again.  The diagnostic says I need to 'calibrate' my battery, but to do this, i needs to charge to 99-100%.  The problem is - it will not charge past 19%!  

HP Recommended

Hi @ShayeT ,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating issue. Here are some steps you can take to try and resolve this problem with your HP laptop battery:

1. Check the Power Adapter and Port

• Ensure the power adapter is working properly: Sometimes the problem might be with the power adapter rather than the battery itself. Try using a different power adapter if you have one available.
  • Inspect the charging port: Make sure there is no debris or damage in the charging port of your laptop.

2. Perform a Hard Reset

• For laptops with removable batteries:
    • Turn off your laptop and unplug the power adapter.
    • Remove the battery.
    • Press and hold the power button for about 15-20 seconds to discharge any remaining power.
    • Reinsert the battery and plug in the power adapter, then turn on your laptop.
  • For laptops with non-removable batteries:
    • Turn off the laptop and unplug the power adapter.
    • Press and hold the power button for about 15-20 seconds.
    • Plug in the power adapter and turn on the laptop.

3. Battery Calibration Steps

Even though it might be difficult due to the current charge issue, you can try to calibrate the battery as follows:

• Charge the battery to 100%: Leave your laptop plugged in for several hours, even if it seems to be stuck at 19%.
  • Discharge the battery completely: Once it’s fully charged, unplug the power adapter and use your laptop until it shuts down due to low battery.
  • Charge it back to 100% without interruption.

4. BIOS and Driver Updates

• Update BIOS: Sometimes, a BIOS update can resolve battery issues. Check the HP support website for any available updates for your specific laptop model.
  • Update Battery Drivers:
    • Open Device Manager (you can search for it in the Windows search bar).
    • Expand the Batteries section.
    • Right-click on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and choose Update driver.
    • Follow the prompts to update the driver.

5. Battery Test and Calibration Software

• HP Support Assistant: Use the HP Support Assistant to run a battery check and calibration. This tool can provide detailed information about your battery’s health and guide you through the calibration process.

6. Contact HP Support

If the issue persists, it might be necessary to reach out to HP support again, especially since the battery was recently replaced. The problem could be with the new battery itself or with the laptop’s charging circuitry.

7. Alternative Calibration Method

If your laptop won't charge past 19%, you can try a manual calibration method:

• Fully charge the battery: Leave it plugged in for a few hours even if it says it’s stuck at 19%.
  • Unplug and use the laptop until it shuts down due to low battery.
  • Wait 3-5 hours after shutdown.
  • Charge the laptop again without interruption until it reaches 100%.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.