Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a HP 250 G3 laptop and I'd like to upgrade the N wifi card on it to a Dual AC wifi card. There are quite a few options available  on Amazon but I don't know which one to pick up. Vendors and Users have conflicting ideas. Where can I get sound information about the right AC wifi card?

Thanks for your time,

Aaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Aaron2 wrote:

Hi erico,

Thank you for your answer. I am aware of the fact that my laptop has one antenna only. I have already opened it. I am planning to purchase a new pair of dual band laptop anttenas available on Amazon to go with the new AC wifi card. I know how to replace the antennas too.

Now, even if I replace the existing antenna with the dual band antennas, are you saying that they won't work in 250 G3 anyways? I thought getting dual band antennas with a compatible ac wifi card would solve my problem?

If we get back to my original question, (considering new anttennas will work) would any ac card be compatible with my laptop or do you think the bios whitelist will be a problem? 

Thanks again for your time,

Aaron,

Just about any 802.11ac card work. I suggest using Intel adapters.

There is one very strict caveat. The card must be a PCI Express Mini Card format.

M.2 wifi adapters would not have a slot in your notebook's system board to plug into, so they are not a viable option .

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Your notebook has a 1x1 antenna. It would have to have a 2x2 antenna setup to use 802.11ac.

Unfortunately, That means that an  802.11ac wifi adapter won't broadcast or receive any signal broadcast by an SSID using 802.11ac protocol.

I suggest  that you save your money and purchase a notebook that already has the capability of using an 802.11ac adapter.

This is the list of optionally installed adapters that could be in your notebook now.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi erico,

Thank you for your answer. I am aware of the fact that my laptop has one antenna only. I have already opened it. I am planning to purchase a new pair of dual band laptop anttenas available on Amazon to go with the new AC wifi card. I know how to replace the antennas too.

Now, even if I replace the existing antenna with the dual band antennas, are you saying that they won't work in 250 G3 anyways? I thought getting dual band antennas with a compatible ac wifi card would solve my problem?

If we get back to my original question, (considering new anttennas will work) would any ac card be compatible with my laptop or do you think the bios whitelist will be a problem? 

Aaron,

HP Recommended

@Aaron2 wrote:

Hi erico,

Aaron,

Just about any 802.11ac card work. I suggest using Intel adapters.

There is one very strict caveat. The card must be a PCI Express Mini Card format.

M.2 wifi adapters would not have a slot in your notebook's system board to plug into, so they are not a viable option .

HP Recommended

Thank you erico 🙂

So I take your answer as "bios whitelist will not pose a problem".

Thanks again and stay well,

aaron 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.