Question

Student
Message 1 of 8 (77,210 Views)

how do i find out if my usb port is 2.0 or 3.0

Wanting to purchase an external hard drive for my notebook to back up my photos.  How do I determine if I have a USB 2 or 3.

Provost
Message 2 of 8 (77,206 Views)

Re: how do i find out if my usb port is 2.0 or 3.0

[ Edited ]

Phantom8,

Welcome the forum!

You will love this. Low Tech Solution - quick and easy.

Get a flashlight (or a torch if you are British), point it at the bottom of the notebook along the edge next to the USB port --- and peer ever so closely at the USB port.  Brilliant designers; print is black on gray.

Look for the logo usb_ss.PNG  , that is the "SS", next to the network sign; "SS" USB denotes the SuperSpeed USB 3.0. 

No "SS"?  USB port is USB 2.0

Dragon Tips:

USB  3.0 devices do not plug in all the way - this is normal.

NOTES:

• USB 3.0 ports are likely located on the left side edge of the notebook, toward the front.
  • USB 3.0 accomodates most 3.0 devices and many USB 2.0 (and USB 1.x)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Available on some models:  USB-c

Proper use of the charging feature requires attention to detail; all cables are not equal.

USB Type C Cables and Accessories Reviews

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Your HP Forum Experts are here to help!

Whenever you see a Helpful Post - Click the Kudos Star as Thanks!

Did a Post solve your problem?  Mark that Post “Accept as Solution”!

Note: You can find the “Accept as Solution” box on threads started by you.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (77,040 Views)

Good job.
finally founfd answer
Top Student
Message 4 of 8 (72,996 Views)

Great - i did not know that!!
Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (66,694 Views)

Easy way to identify a USB  port is to peer inside and check what colour the connecting part inside is.

USB 3.0 are coloured Blue.

USB 2.0 are coloured Grey

Tutor
Message 6 of 8 (64,117 Views)

Yep, there it is printed just below the port itself. Never would have thought it would be that easy... Smiley Happy

sberg

Student
Message 7 of 8 (41,804 Views)

good
Student
Message 8 of 8 (19,741 Views)

Not so fast Waldo, HP did NOT color code my HP 18-5110 3.0 usb ports, they only marked them with with the letters SS in black. Maybe I got a very low end HP PC and the blue ports were too expensive to include, they only come with the high end models.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation