Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So I dont' should active anything?

I put the hd in my pc, and then I install, right?

HP Recommended

Hello!

Yes that's correct. If you have any problems during the Installation phase of your SSD or Windows just let me know!

Thank you for your time and patience! 

Good Luck!

Tyler Johnson

HP Recommended

Do you know hd "crucial"?

I think to buy this ssd

HP Recommended

Hello!

Yes! I think you are talking about the BX100? Great SSD and its very affordable! I would recommend this one or the Samsung 850 EVO both really good SSDs.

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to let me know! Thank you! 😄

Best Regards,

Tyler Johnson

HP Recommended

thanks a lot for your answers.

I'm talking about BX200

I tried a guide for bios and mode AHCI:

I should find in the register  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE the key "Start" and set it to 0.

then I reboot the pc and go in the bios and I set my mode "AHCI"

the I should install the  Intel RST (Intel rapid storage technology) driver.

If I follow this guide with my current hd sata 2,  will I create some problems with my pc?

HP Recommended

Hello!

I can't confrim for you if this guide will work 100%. But usually updating your BIOS or installing drivers for your computer will give you more features to your system's BIOS.

Registy Editing, you have to be a little more careful, damging or bricking your rigisrty can need to numerous errors with-in your Windows and System.

If you want, you can link me the guide you found and I can take a look for you!

Also, are you talking about this driver, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver ?

Best Regards,

Tyler Johnson

HP Recommended

the intrusion is clear and minimal

The guide is 

http://www.tomshw.it/forum/hard-disk-ssd-e-raid/302774-passare-dalla-modalita-ide-alla-modalita-ahci...

I also read people that change the hd and install windows, wihouth bios problem. Exactly you said me, but I don't know their configuration

HP Recommended

Hello!

Looks like I have the same problem as you! My BIOS doesn't allow me to change my SATA Type but according to Rapid Storage Technology, I have NCQ enabled. For that to be enabled means that AHCI is alreay enabled for me as well!

Capture.PNG

What is AHCI ?

AHCI stand for Advance Host Controller Interface. AHCI is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices (such as host bus adapters) that are designed to offer features not offered by Parallel ATA (PATA) controllers, such as hot-plugging and native command queuing (NCQ). The specification details a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors in order to transfer data between system memory and the device.

Many SATA controllers can enable AHCI either separately or in conjunction with RAID support. Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating system has already been installed.

AHCI is fully supported out of the box for Microsoft Windows Vista and the Linux operating system from kernel 2.6.19. NetBSD also supports drivers in AHCI mode out of the box in certain versions. Older operating systems require drivers written by the host bus adapter vendor in order to support AHCI.

Regards,

Tyler Johnson

HP Recommended

How do I know if already is is activeted?

If I don't active the mode "AHCI" , does the hd ssd run  anyway?

Does It slowly run, loosing the advantages? 

Before buying the ssd, Does this guide allow me to set ahci mode? 

HP Recommended

I will just wade in here and say "relax" "don't overthink". The system is ahci and it is not that there is no way to enable ahci you could not "disable" it if you wanted. The system does not know how to run in any other mode. Leave the BIOS and the registry alone...no need to touch them. Put the SSD in and install the OS to it or clone it or whatever just like a hard drive. I've done dozens of them and almost never a problem. The Crucial SSDs are one brand that has generated some issues, but that is the MX series and have not seen issues with the BX series. Good luck.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.