Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HDX18
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to access my BIOS to set the boot sequence to USB device. Can't!

Power on and press F10 multiple times does not bring me into the BIOS config just beeps at me when my keyboard buffer is full and then continues on to load the OS.

Never see option to press key(s) to access BIOS either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help out.

My system is a pre-Windows 8 laptop (2010) and SHOULD have displayed the option for entering Setup during boot but did NOT. I had previously upgraded from 32 bit OS to 64 bit - which created another Program Files folder which in turn took away gobs of disk space. I then upgraded to Windows 10 and did not like how slow it was running so, I wanted to install a clean Windows 10 and created a bootable USB device. That's when I found I could not access the BIOS to change my boot device.

After trying everything I could find without success, I booted the machine and once Windows was loaded, I held the shift key down and selected Restart. This brought me to the UEFI Menu Screen. I went looking at each of the options - none of which led me anywhere good so, I backed out to the main menu screen and clicked on Continue - exit and continue to load Windows.

After getting a black screen I FINALLY see the option - Press ESC to Enter Setup... Hurray!

Problem solved - for now!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

What do you get when you tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen?

Your notebook may have been made around the time when they moved from F10 to ESC to get to the BIOS menu.

Also try tapping the F9 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, and that will allow you to boot from any bootable device present.

HP Recommended

Powered off then back on, pressing ESC... booted into Windows 10

Powered off then back on, pressing F9 once I saw the HP logo... booted into Windows 10

Have done the same with F12, F11, F8 and F2...  keyboard buffer gets full and beeps at me then, continues to load Windows 10

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help out.

My system is a pre-Windows 8 laptop (2010) and SHOULD have displayed the option for entering Setup during boot but did NOT. I had previously upgraded from 32 bit OS to 64 bit - which created another Program Files folder which in turn took away gobs of disk space. I then upgraded to Windows 10 and did not like how slow it was running so, I wanted to install a clean Windows 10 and created a bootable USB device. That's when I found I could not access the BIOS to change my boot device.

After trying everything I could find without success, I booted the machine and once Windows was loaded, I held the shift key down and selected Restart. This brought me to the UEFI Menu Screen. I went looking at each of the options - none of which led me anywhere good so, I backed out to the main menu screen and clicked on Continue - exit and continue to load Windows.

After getting a black screen I FINALLY see the option - Press ESC to Enter Setup... Hurray!

Problem solved - for now!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to figure the problem out.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.