Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need to disable the pointing stick and buttons, but leave the touchpad active on a new HP 8760w.   I cannot find a place to do this in the mouse properties.  I did come across the ability to disable it on an advanced driver tab, but after reboot is is active.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Disabling any I/O device will automatically re-enable when you restart the computer. As far as I know, there is no way around this.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.    I notice that you indicate you're an HP employee.  Does that mean that this issue is now at a dead end?

The reason I ask is that the vast majority of users will prefer to use either the Touchstick or the Touchpad, and would not use both.  Because the Touchstick keys can interfere when typing, many users will want these disabled - permanently. 

Having to enter the Control Panel and disable them at every boot is ludicrous.   If your answer an "an employee" represents "HP thinking", and your final answer is a dead end without any hint of moving this issue hgiher to the desgin team, then this will be the last time I ever purchase anything made by HP.  

I am shocked at how simplistic and curt your answer was and very disappointed in how little you actually know.  My Lenovo has the option for disabling the pointing stick or touchpad permanently.  It does not re--enable following a restart.  

This is definitely an HP design issue. 

HP Recommended

My post (nor any of my posts) was not an official response from HP.  I am a volunteer on these forums just like all the other HP Forums users.   My signature stating that I am an HP employee is for full disclosure. 

I stated that as far as I know, there is no way to keep a disable I/O device attached to the system board from re-enabling after restarting Windows.  After restart, the driver reinitializes and the device is enabled again.  There may be 3rd party software out there that will automatically disable that device however.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
HP Recommended

Can you tell me how to disable the toggle stick at least temporarily - it's really annoying and deletes whole sections if you accidentally touch it while typing.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.