Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I agree with u all. Hp sucks. I had my G62 a year and they said it was the motherboard. When I used it, I could cover the vents, get it hot, then it would turn on. It worked great like nothing was wrong with it until I turned it off. Recently I was updating everything cuz I haven't been on it in a while and when I clicked on the ATI control to ck for an update my laptop screen went black and pc shut off. now, when it comes on it won't stay on but a few mins then screen goes black with white light behind the black screen. What could this be? I just don't feel like it is the motherboard since it use to work so well. It will stay on in safemode so far. Any ideals? Thanks

HP Recommended

I forgot to add....... when I turn my G62 on the caps constantly blinks white and the wireless light is red. It stays on. The power light is lite too. I cover the vents, get it hot, power off then, back on ...it comes on. Window loads

HP Recommended

Probably a bad solder joint among the hundreds inside. Getting it hot expands something to where it touches and runs normally. I suspect that the quality control from the mfr (it's not HP) left something to be desired.

Getting a new motherboard might fix it.... but it's probably 5 years old. I fiddle with mine to get it going, too, sometimes plug an external monitor in. I have the schematic, but instead of tearing it apart (again) and trying to fix it,  someday I'll just chuck it and get a $150 Chromebook.

HP Recommended
Hp have a big poblem esp with poor motherboard design ..for instance the heat sink passes from the processor to the graphic card then to the fan ..given that the graphic/video card easily overheats all the heat from the processor makes it even hotter ...have observed other motherboards including toshiba which last for decades n i discovered this ....for this case ill recommend u take the laptop apart remoe the heat sink n use a hot air tool to heat the video card put packnthe laptop and power it on it will work ...but know its days are numbered n make sure to clean the fan off any dust to add it more days ..
HP Recommended

The HP professional machines might be OK, but the cheapies like the G62 came out of a Chinese contract manufacturer. I have the schematic but I don't remember the mfr.

The only good thing about the HPs is they run Linux well. I've used Mint, Ubuntu, openSuSE, Puppy, Bodhi. All better than Windows 7.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.