Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook POU71EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Notebook makes singular,random beeps.  This can be soon after I switch on or several hours later,can be within 20 minutes or a few hours of each other.

My Notebook was bought as a Christmas presen, so only just really turned on.

How can this be fixed - everything I read identifiies a hardware fault, which I don't really want to deal with as it's under warranty.

Thanks in advance for your help.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Scara,

Welcome to the HP Forums! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

Thank you for posting. I have read your post, and I understand that your laptop beeps. I wanted to help.

Please run the Hardware test for HDD and memory.

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

To say thank you, click on the "thumb up". Accept the post as solution, if your problem solved, so other people have the same issue can see it.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply, I have completed the Extended test and some of the additional component tests.  All PASSED - the Battery Check : Primary - OK (0); the Memory Extensive Check : PASSED (Tested 7.83 GB).

I have not saved or really used this laptop yet.

However, the 2 hour Extended test for the Hard Drive Long DST check took over 7 hours (it did identify this amount of time).  Not sure if this has any significance.

I have also Hard Reset, remove battery etc...

The noises are still there, although seem less aggressive.  An odd tiny, low beep (just after minimising a Word doc - NB only just downloaded MS Office - doubtful if this is significant), and a scratchy sound after selecting the Windows 10 start menu.  NB this is not the sounds of the hard drive or optical drive.

It's bizarre, I'm completely baffled by the random noises with no identification for any issues.

Is this Notebook meant to make odd sounds?

Product No.:    POU71EA#ABU

Serial No.:        [Personal Information Removed]

BIOS:F.19-08/27/2015

Keyboard Revision:      96.38

Total Memory:              8.00 GB

Processor Name:         Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70 GHz

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

UPDATE:

Could this be a Windows 10 issue?

- I have been copying images from phone to Notebook, and twice I have had Windows close all my folders and return to desktop.

- Also noticed when I started Chrome, a beep occured - could be just random.

Even though the keyboard test PASSED, could it be ad hoc keyboard dysfunction?

- I am having issues with the Shift key.  When I am selecting multiple files to copy, I press shift and occassionally I have to repeat or start prcess again.

- I have noticed, on occassion, that the space bar doesn't seem to work.  I know this could be user error, and as this is a flatter spacebar could need to get used to, but I'm starting t have my doubts.

Thanks for your help in advance - warranty until start of November 2016.

HP Recommended

Hi @Scara,

Please try the following methods:

1. Update your BIOS:

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

You can download the BIOS here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-ac100-Notebook-PC-series/8499326/model/9061043

After you update the BIOS, see if the computer still has the beeping sound. If the problem persists, try to disable the keyboard settings.

2.  Disable the keyboard settings

- Go to "Device Manager"

- Right click "Keyboard"

- Select "Power Management" tab,

- Uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply - and apologies for not replying sooner.

I'm a bit uncertain about downloading the latest BIOS just in case I "brick" it - have checked out the one I'm running: BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.19, 27/08/2015.  Just checked my updates and there is an update for the BIOS so will download this first and see how this spans out.

Many thanks once again.

HP Recommended

I have downloaded and am now running the updated BIOS, realising that is what you meant.  Thanks for that.

The laptop still has random beeps.

Tried to disable the Keyboard Settings - however in Device Manager, right clicking the 'Keyboards' only offers 'Scan for hardware changes' and 'Properties' which neither offer the 'Power Management' Tab.  

The 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard' has options 'Update hardware', 'Uninstall', 'Scan for harware change' and 'Properties'.  Properties only gives General, Driver, Details, Events and Resources tabs.  In Details the Property can be selected for Power data, but no options for Power Management.

Tried searching for as well, but only brings up the same properties.

Do you have a list of the Insyde BIOS codes for version F.1F - as then potential cause could be discovered?

I have a range of beeps, which makes me feel there's a range of problems?

- Long then short beep

- Longer, fuzzy beep

- Short

- Very quick

What is the HP procedure duringthe Warranty period to get my laptop fixed?

I have considered returning it to store for a replacement, however they no longer stock this model, although I understand I can request a full refund. 

Whilst this seems the easier option - the laptop is working fine, except the beeps!

Thanks for your help once again.

HP Recommended

Hi @Scara,

Please give a call to HP phone support.

Please use the following link http://www.hp.com/contacthp to create a case for your issue, and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html to get the contact information for your region.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.