Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dvr-1016nr
Microsoft Windows Vista

Is there an actual button for turning on WIRELESS on the HP Pavilion dv7-1016nr Entertainment Notebook? The Power button seems to be the only "button" on this Notebook.

The picture in the Quick Setup User Guide that came with the Notebook shows a "Wireless button" at the rightmost location on the strip of "buttons" above the keyboard.  On this Notebook the Power button is the only button on that strip... all other indicators on the strip are lights including an antenna ican on the far right which is lit with an amber light. Touching the ican is useless.  

Pressing Start on the startup bar and typing "hp wireless assistant" in the search box came up with no results.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

dvr-1016nr is not a product number. The "r" would be a number like dv6-1016nr or dv7-1016nr and of those I think it would have to be dv7. It's a big laptop, right? 

Look at page 9 of this Manual:

Manual

The "wireless" and other buttons on the strip are touch sensitive but you first must install the HP Quick Launch driver. Similarly, HP wireless assistant must be installed. Do you still have the original Vista OS or have you installed Windows 7 or 8? 

HP Recommended

Hi,

What is your machine actually. I know HP has many dv* models/products but can't find a dvr machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the typo. It's an HP PAVILION dv7-1016nr.

HP Recommended

I still have the original Vista. My WiFi was working a few years ago until I disconnected the router. In June 2013, I had some major computer issues and enrolled in HP's Smart Friend tech support service. They did a partial restore that took about 9 hours and I think some important files may have been lost at that time.

HP Recommended

Hi,

That is also the on/off switch of the wireless

dv7_11.png

Please touch your finger on it.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Any way you can give us a screnshot of the device manager? I suspect the HP Quicklaunch driver is not installed.

I suggest you might want to run the automated HP Updater from the website that will find and install any missing drivers:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv7-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/3744231/model/3...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Good picture, BH. 10 is definitely the WiFi icon, however we have tried touching it for weeks to no avail. The antenna is lit amber (or perhaps it's red). Thanks for hanging in with me on this.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Definitely it is a switch, on my machine (different model) it is not a mechanical switch it works like a sensor. There are few things you may want to check:

- Device Manager, is there any error or yellow   !   ,

- The switch itself may be faulty,

- Driver for the switch may not work.

I can't see, can't touch to your machine therefore very hard to say what is not right .

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

The operation of the touch switch depends on installation of the driver. I gave a link above as to how you can access that. HP Quicklaunch it is called and the driver activates the hardware you need to work. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.