Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G6 2000 series
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have the UK model Pavilion g6 2210sa, this came with the RALINK RT5390 WiFi card which would only connect at 2.4GHz and non of the models listed in the hp manual for exchange are NOT 5GHz compatible.

I've spent months trying in vain to get any support including here from hp, I decided and after taking into account the

'WHITE LIST' situation to choose a WiFi card that met the needs to give me 5GHz connectivity but also had an

hp 'part number' associated with it ie 123456-001

As my operating system is intel inside, CORE i5 that i'd go with INTEL and selected the Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 +BT HMC.

cost of around £20.   HP PART 710661-001 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-7260-HMWG-Wireless-AC-7260-Bluetooth/dp/B00DMCVKMU

I made sure I followed the instructions for removing the battery, discharging any residual power by holding down the ON button for 20secs and then removing the back hatch and carefully removing the antenna leads  and single screw, then replaced the card and redid the process in reverse. very simple.

Switched on the laptop and went to the WiFi bars, searched available networks and connected straight away. checking my WiFi speed I now find I'm getting 866.7 Mbps, A MASSIVE jump in speed.

So it worked stright out of the packet with no additional work required. haven't checked the BlueTooth side but I'm not really concerned about that so I'll leave that for you to decide if you want to go with this specific card but I'm more than happy with it.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing the results 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes I am a bit surprised it worked but glad it did!

HP Recommended

I was surprised because of all the negativity around the 'White List' and the BIOS, but then I had an email from hp after weeks of emailing back and forth with this response ( "You are of course free to use another brand of wireless card, but it is with regret that we unable to guarantee compatibility")  but I was hopeful that it would work based on having an hp part number.  I worked on the assumption that if the part is hp 'registered' and has worked in other hp equipment then the hp operating systems and INTEL processor will recognise the 'NEW' adtition, which it did straight off.

The trouble I've gone to has convinced me that my next latop WONT be an hp product. When devices are out of Warranty even though it may only be a short time the agents at hp are just not interested. Also, putting together a 'White List' that may restrict your options is anti consumer.

I've lost faith in hp as a company to trust, I don't have deep pockets to replace a laptop thats just over 18mths old and don't see why I should, It's clear that the original card was of an inferior set up, but because it was 'n' rated it was believed to be  5GHz wifi ready.  We bought 2 on the strength of recommendation that these would work with 5 GHz.

HP Recommended

The whitelist is dead so can't you let bygones be bygones? HP makes some pretty good products and I think you will find there is no manufacturer that consistently makes a better consumer laptop at the price point HP is able to occupy. They all have their issues. 

HP Recommended

for me it's all about the consumer and not getting so big you forget about them. loyalty doesn't come from the size of your wallet.

Until the 'White list' is officially classified as dead it still exists, and until the basic upgrades which a 5GHz conversion is and is supported then no I can't forgive. Consumer comes first every time. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.