Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Before a month certain keys of my laptop keyboard stopped working. I can't fix the problem. F1, esc, tab, 1 and ` are not working. Tried the vaccum cleaner, tried to clean the keyboard from outside with compressed air but not working. Can I fix that problem? Should I clean my keyboard somehow? What should I do? Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think you'll probably need to have the keyboard replaced.

As the problem is apparent when the notebook first boots, this isn't a driver or registry problem as the operating system hasn't loaded yet ( the function of the keyboard at this point is controlled by the bios, not Windows ).

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the keyboard replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty, the replacement procedure ( and the relevant Part No. ) can be found starting on Page 76 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

You should be able to get the relevant part from the HP Parts Store or HP PartSurfer.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

While this could be a hardware issue, it's always worth trying the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click the entry 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard' and select Uninstall.

Shut down the notebook - if you're running Windows 8/8.1, do this by holding down the left Shift key as you click on Shutdown to temporarily prevent a hybrid boot.

Then unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. Is there anythign else I can do?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

Did tapping the esc key when starting the notebook allow you access the start-up menu?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

No. The button is not working. I used F10

HP Recommended

Hi,

If the esc key isn't detected at boot ( ie when no Windows driver is yet loaded ), then this is almost certainly a hardware issue with the keyboard.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Can I do anything to fix the problem? Should I do something in the regedit?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I think you'll probably need to have the keyboard replaced.

As the problem is apparent when the notebook first boots, this isn't a driver or registry problem as the operating system hasn't loaded yet ( the function of the keyboard at this point is controlled by the bios, not Windows ).

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the keyboard replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty, the replacement procedure ( and the relevant Part No. ) can be found starting on Page 76 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

You should be able to get the relevant part from the HP Parts Store or HP PartSurfer.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.