Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

According to the " Windows Hardware Certification for Client and Server Systems document found here:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/hardware/jj128256 Sections 14 through 18, I am supposed to have the ability through my UEFI Firmware Settings page to delete any or add my own Secure Boot Keys.

I cannot find this functionality. Where is it located in either the Bios settings or the UEFI Firmware settings?

I have gone to the UEFI Firmware Settings page. This page is very misleading because it looks just like my Legacy Bios settings page - only through UEFI Firmware Settings when you access this page some functionality is different like the now you have the ability to disable Secure Boot and not switch to Legacy Bios mode by default. You remain in UEFI mode with secure Boot disabled. Previosly when going to this same looking page by going to Bios settings, the system would switch by default to Legacy Bios mode as soon as you tried to disable secure Boot.

However, there is no option anywhere that i can find to change delete or add Secure Boot keys as is required by HP's agreement with Microsoft. Please help me find this setting.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I contacted HP about this and HP tech support did not understand that disabling Secure Boot and the ability to remove or add Secure Boot keys (PK) are two totally different things. They kept repeating instructions for disabling Secure Boot and or switching to Legacy Mode. When I patiently explained to them the issue and actually read from the Windows Hardware Certification for Client and Server Systems document they told me they don't give support for UEFI and I would have to ask Microsoft about this. Which of course is silly because Microsoft has Nothing to do with the bios/UEFI and how it works in my system.

First off, HP made the bios.  I forget what it's called but it has HP in the bios name. It is Unthinkable to me how HP cannot give support for a Bios/UEFI they made and installed in my system.

It is Unthinnkable to me that there is NO mention of UEFI and how to use it in the Mantience and Service Guide.

They told me they are ONLY concerned with getting your Windows system running and as long as that system is running, they don't care about anything else. This is Unthinkable.

The point is, If I create a Secure Boot Key for a operating system I create, How do I implement this in UEFI so that it can check against the information in my boot loader (in my distro disks) to KNOW it's o.k. to let it install? There Has to be a way to add this key to UEFI so Secure Boot can use verify my system as good to install.

HP provides no way of doing this that I can see and this is Required of HP by Microsoft when HP makes a system that ships with Windows 8.

I think it's a racket. I think Microsoft told HP not to tell anyone how to do those things to make it harder for people to create other operating systems that work with Secure Boot. I'd like to be proven wrong about these assumptions so can anyone find me the correct info?

HP Recommended

Hello JohnPhoenix,

I am going to forward this thread to the appropriate team for review. Someone should be in contact with you shortly in regards to your issue.

Contact will be made through the forums private message feature. You can check your private messages by clicking on the small envelope icon next to your name in the upper right hand corner once you have logged in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
HP Recommended

So no one else is allowed to know how?

HP Recommended

I spoke to a rep on the phone and was told she didn't know the answer but she would look into it and call me back. That was what two weeks ago now.. I never heard back from her.

She did tell me Microsoft pays for a portion of the hardware and thats why PC bundled with Windows are cheaper. She also told me because HP accepts money from Microsoft they cater to Microsofts wishes and DO NOT have to provide support for UEFI - They don't want to make it easy to circumvent Secure Boot by providing information.  Microsoft says one thing in the above document and tells HP to do the oppisite by not providing support -

It's a scam, a racket a legal bribe.

I have talked about this issue in these threads http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread927328/pg1 and http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=124869

I'm making sure the whole world knows how HP and Microsoft is in bed together. Of course everything is done in a manner which looks like normal business practices but it's a darn rotten shame these people treat thier customers this way. This is the last HP I will ever buy.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.